Journeyman upgrade issues

I upgraded my woodworker OF to the journeyman and I hadn’t cut anything other than leveling out my waste board until today and I’ve got a big problem unfortunately. My Y motors aren’t keeping up with each other. One is constantly playing catch up and putting my machine out of square. I can make a clean profile pass if it’s a circle or something but a v carve is impossible as you can see from the picture. Nothing seems to be binding as I can move everything freely by hand. I did also put the extension cables on my Y rails when I upgraded to be able to have my controller box in a different location

I would start by verifying the grub screws in the couplers between the stepper motors and the ball screw are tight, possibly add some witness marks to ensure they’re not slipping. If that is all good then start looking at electrical sources of lost steps good connections, make sure the pins are pushed fully into the connectors, good pin fitment/clean pins and sockets etc. Look for sources of EMI between the stepper motors where you might have wall voltage/spindle cables run in parallel to the stepper motors. Possibly test without the extension cables installed if you can locate a controller in a spot that works.

1 Like