Leveling Caster Insert for Elite Foreman Fixed Base (Solution found)

There’s been a lot of discussion about making the Foreman mobile as it’s too large for the mobile base.

I’ve modeled and now produced a replacement foot insert that will accept beefier 1/2" threaded leveling casters. I’ve also added additional webbing and increased the thickness of the bottom plate to support the weight.

I have attached some CAD drawings and a couple of pictures of the finished product.
I will be happy to share more once I have confirmed they work.

I ordered my Foreman on day one (#34311) but elected to wait until the frame was ready for delivery. That was a mistake as the frames are now ready but they are not making another batch of Foreman until next week :rage:

Once I have it in-hand an tested on the frame, i will share the file, or I might sell them. The casters are way oversized, but that’s a good approach anyway. If you’re interested in the file, reply and I will send it free (even if I eventually start selling the file or print)

Let me know if you have interest or questions and I would be happy to expand.

5 Likes

I have those locking casters on my table saw. There is a little vibration/wobble caused by the rubber feet of the caster flexing. Otherwise, a really good caster.

1 Like

I am very interested. I don’t have a printer to print the file so I would be glad to buy the actual feet inserts from you.

Alfonso,
No worries. Let me test it on mine first and I can produce a set for you if they work. I don’t plan on making a business of this so I will make them at cost.

2 Likes

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Been looking into casters but the all have 12mm stem. So this would solve the issue. Thank you again.

1 Like

You’re welcome.
Yes, the smaller stems supplied with the machines (3/8" I believe) are too small for any heft casters.
The usual rule for a caster is that each caster should comfortably carry 2X it’s static load to be able to move well. So take total weight of machine, spindle, MDF, QCW and frame legs and divide by 4 and then double it.
I took the largest available as the larger rolling diameter of the caster makes moving easier too.

1 Like

I’m also interested in receiving the files. I do have a 3D printer but was curious what material you would use to print it. Would PLA+ work or do you recommend something else? Thank you for coming up with a good solution to this problem.

1 Like

I’m interested as well, do you plan on selling? I am in the same boat and elected to wait for the stand as well.

Will you offer these made or an sto file?

1 Like

I also would like the print file! Thank you very much for your work on this!!!

Thanks so much for posting this. I too don’t have a printer or know anyone with one. Would love to be able to purchase the made product from you if end up making a few. Great job!!

1 Like

I had a notification today of a label created at BorderworX. Hopefully it should arrive here in Cambridge early next week and I can confirm the fit on the frame legs.

I would like the files please. Nice work as well. Keep up the good work.

I’m still waiting for notification of shipment (not just a label) and so I’m having to be patient (and apologies to you all for the delay in confirming fit of the foot)

No problem I’m in no hurry.
Thank You,
Dave C

Can you send me a copy of the print files?
Maybe make some and sell me a set?

Let me know

I would also like a copy of the file please! I am experimenting with different materials and will give it a go before my qwc arrives.

Update attached. They WORK.
The PETG printed parts require ONE wrap of electrical tape to be a tight fit in the base of the leg. I’m debating whether to increase the scale of the print by a whisker or leave the print as-is. The electrical tape provide a good frictional surface and removing the insert would be easier as some gentle heat (hairdryer) to the metal leg would soften the tape’s adhesive and the insert would slide out.

The other issue is that the threads as modelled are correct but tight. I found that I needed to clean them up with a thread chaser. A 1/2 steel threaded insert would be easier but a thread chaser works fine and there is no need for a nylock nut as the PETG print acts as the same.

The large base of the caster nicely supports the edges of the print so that the load of the CNC is transferred to the walls of the legs.

Finally wobble, there is a slight increase in wobble as the casters I selected have a rubber foot, but I would say it’s insignificant. It’s is not a night / day difference, it’s very slight (these casters after all are designed to support equipment and many large CNCs use them (I was told by another of our users here that he worked with a CNC that used 8 of the largest spec ones on a $400,000 CNC)

2 Likes

IMG_1636

IMG_1639

2 Likes

They look great. Let me know when I can place an order.

Before deploying (dropping the stem) you just make sure the ratchet arm remains accessible
Turn to underside of table

This won’t work with a solid table with solid sides to floor though as you still need to be able to be reach the caster with your hand :slight_smile: