Location Recommendations

Hello, I’m fairly new to the forum but I think I have a topic worth discussing.

I’m debating on putting my setup in my (unfinished) basement, but I’m a little worried about soundproofing. I will be running the Makita router on the 1F within an enclosure with sound dampening foam in and around the enclosure. I also have rubber strips to work into the enclosure build. For dust collection, I will either use a shop vac or a harbor freight dust collector. I’m hoping to use some of the bottom space for dust collection but not super set on it.

My other option is to put my whole setup in my workshop but the issue there is that it’s not a very nice shop and I have to worry about rust, humidity, and possibly rodents but I find that unlikely.

I’m interested to see what the community thinks so feel free to tell me how dumb each idea is. :smiley:
I should also be able to give more info if needed. Thanks!

I had thought about a similar approach to a table build to make the space above the Onefinity more useful. I ultimately didn’t do it because the lower work height made working with the machine uncomfortable for me.

• Not sure if you have it covered already but I would add a door to the back for access to the rear of the work area for clamping/long pieces of material etc.
  • I would add a layer of plywood to the underside of your Onefinity bed structure to turn it into a torsion box for added rigidity. Depending on your use of the Onefinity you want to keep the bed as flat and true as possible, small changes in height can dramatically affect things like v carve outcomes. If you’re cutting out parts where you are cutting all the way though a part it’s less noticeable
  • The controller placement will likely need longer wires
  • If using a dust collector which moves a higher volume of air than a shop vac you can use a dust boot and have a open connection to the enclosure area to put it under negative pressure to capture dust that got past the dust boot
1 Like

Thank you for the reply!

• I do have a plan for a back door.
  • I will consider another plywood sheet. I’m trying to get started on a budget to keep the wife happy :wink:
  • I made some extra space inside the enclosure for the controller box if it didn’t reach the top. The side might be another option for mounting that.
    thanks again for the input

It doesn’t seem like you have enough height above the machine but I may be wrong.

How are you planning on routing your dust collection? I don’t se space for that.

I used a different forum thread to get the needed height then added a couple of inches. I might need to add a few more but I plan to route dust collection over the cnc but under the top panel then towards the top corner of the enclosure.

What height did you end up with from that? Been trying to figure out what I should do too. From what I’ve seen the minimum seems to be about 24" and that can lead to potential hose problems.

This is the post that I referenced it off of and went with 22" but, as I mentioned, I might need more height and it depends if you’re using a 4" or 2" hose.

@mkngjoy

1 Like

I just went and measured my WW X50 and got the same height. Today I’ll spend some time figuring out my dust collection solution. Last evening I flattened the waste board and made a lot of MDF dust. Definitely want to hook up dust collection before long.

BTW, you mentioned sound dampening foam. While looking for options I came across something called SONOpan that seems to be recommended. 3/4" thick made from wood fibre I think. Meant for walls, etc and is sold in 4x8’ sheets, pretty cheap and apparently pretty effective. Home Depot sells it. Right now I intend to use it. I’ll need most of 2 sheets but that is <$75CDN.