New Update bug report, Z homing not possible with Rotary

After installing the update last night I cannot home my Z any more.

I have the rotary axis installed and home on the rotary block.

Option 1:
I reboot controller
I set machine home x, and z, no problem.
I set work home with the touch probe. Error message appears

The tool stops and stays on the touch probe.
In the previous version of the software the tool would lift to 18.2 mm, and I could set the correct z by offset.
The solution to software bug: Do not display an error message (the error depends on the loaded file, which might not even be the file I want to work with). Lift the tool to 18.2mm as in the previous version of the software.

Option 2:
I reboot the controller.
I do not machine home Z.
I use the touch probe to work home Z.
After touch probe homing Z the software drives the Z so far up the motor is stalling and I lose my Z.
Solution: Lift the tool only 18.2mm up after homing Z as in the previous version of the software.

I will have to manually home the Z now or downgrade to the previous software version now, I hope Onefinity is updating the software and removing those bugs.

Correction: I can still use this version if I do not home Z after rebooting and use the thickness of the touch probe (where the tool stops after displaying an error message) to calculate my Z offset. It would be better to work with a correct machine homed Z so I do not accidentally stall my Z, so I am still hoping for an update.

The new update raises the z 10mm higher after probing. This doesn’t affect customers negatively except in your unsupported instance. It won’t change.

You have 3 options:

1. You can raise your Z slider to see if you get the required z slider heigh you need.
  2. Manually set z.
  3. Revert back to 1.0.9 and never update.
2 Likes

You can gain back ~15mm by subtracting the probe thickness from your total rotary offset and instead using the body of the rotary device as the probe. Drill a small hole for the banana plug if desired (in a safe spot), or simply lean the existing probe against the block instead of putting it on top.

You may have to manually induce contact with something conductive between the rotary body and the bit to start the probing procedure.

4 Likes

I had already raised the Z gantry to the max to make space for the rotary.

I reinstalled V1.0.9, should be fine now.

Thanks for the idea of using the body of the rotary for the Z0, I might give this a try.

This was not a problem in the version 1.0.9, so I think it is still worth fixing, you made the software worse at least in this regard.

Please keep this in mind for the next version, I am not the only one using a rotary.

Thanks all for your quick reply!

I also got this error (with V1.1.1) when probing my stock top that was just below the Z-slider base. The probing operation fails on the G91 G0 Z25 retraction by less than a millimeter. Also it does not save the correct z zero before the retraction error. Shouldn’t the G92 command precede the retraction so at least the correct z zero is saved?

1 Like

I’m getting this error also when cutting thick stock and/or using a longer bit. It would be great if this value was configurable, perhaps adding something to the setting page?
Thanks for your consideration.

2 Likes

I have similar issues with setting Z0 in 1.1.1. Machine homes XYZ fine when turning on. When I lower the router to probe Z with the probe, it throws similar errors to what’s posted above. Try again and the Z won’t move and the joystick becomes un responsive.

All I have is a 3/4" spoilboard and did not see this until 1.1.1.