OneFinity Journeyman and Dust Collection

On May 9th, 2022, I pulled the plug and ordered an OneFinity Journeyman with a QCW Frame that will ship the week of July 10th. This is about dust collection.

I have wanted a CNC for a while, and my overall estimate was $10k CA before buying any wood to play with. I may have to raise my estimate. My wife says I’m cute, which means either I’m cute or an idiot. I’m 70, have the cash, and mostly, I am an idiot. But that’s not why I pulled the lever.

Although I don’t look like one (white mid-west American), I am a Canadian immigrant, a back-of-the-bus baby-boomer who built fibreglass commercial fishing vessels, worked for BC Packers, Vancouver shipyards and Finning Tractor, and then for CANFOR in GIS in Woss, as MIS for a manufacturing firm and a senior analyst for the City of Campbell River on Vancouver Island. Then in 2006, I had a prescription drug problem. So I became a ‘creative’ and began to journal, paint, take photos, make Artboxes.ca and blog as IcarusFlyby.ca.

I have a 19x19 garage. I don’t have room for a 4x8 CNC platform, so I spent a lot of time figuring out how to hang a machine that would crush both of us simultaneously. Since that would not be cute, I went back to a platform. Everything is on wheels, two art
benches, one bench for the mitre saw and planner, a table saw, a grinder, and a band saw without a permanent home, now joined by the mitre saw and planner.

Being a creative person creates a lot of mess. It costs a lot of money, so I tend to reuse things, generally making them as big as whatever materials are at hand, and so over the last few weeks, I took all the benches apart and reassembled everything to free up space for the new CNC, which brings me back to dust collection.

I have watched countless videos of people mounting dust collectors in weird proximity to various cyclone dust extractors. So I got rid of the bag, ordered a canister, and hung a WEN air filter above the dust collector hooked up to a Lee Valley 4” cyclone lid, an extra-large Rubbermaid Brute garbage container, a box full of extra-large plastic bags and a 4” dust boot for the OneFinity (which may not work with the laser)(cute). I have a Milia Hepa filter, which will go somewhere close to the CNC workspace.

On May 6th, 2022, I finished six weeks of radiation treatment and chemotherapy for lung cancer. I have a radiation burn on my neck that makes me look like I tried to hang myself and a 17% chance of living more than five years. That’s why I pulled the lever and ordered a CNC. Why Not?

A once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I smoked until I was in my 40s, and I’ve worked with asbestos, various solvents and dust clouds of more materials than I can count. Who knows if a dust collector, one of the last things I installed in my workshop, would have prevented my condition?
The BC Cancer Centre in Victoria, British Columbia, is a factory. Most of us are older, but some are far too young. It doesn’t matter what causes cancer, it’s cancer, and it doesn’t care.

IcarusFlyby@2022

2 Likes

That’s quite an update.

Victoria, i studied there for 2+ years in the late 80s before heading back to the UK. A beautiful place, sea, mountains, rainforests and snow. And red double decker buses (at least when i was there). My thoughts:

(1) A good vacuum and dust boot. If youre able, locate your vacuum in a place away from wherd you work.

(2) play around with the cnc for a bit

(3) get a spindle to reduce noise.

Cheers

1 Like

Hey Andy - I live in Campbell River, about 3 hours north of Victoria; what did you study? I’ve used the same (loud) Makita router for years, so I ordered a spindle simultaneously with the machine.
I also ordered a PWNCNC Dust Boot v7, but I’m unsure if it will work with the 14W J-Tech Laser without changing the mount? The dust collector is 1 1/2 hp in the lower right last picture. Awaiting the canister.
Still have double decker busses and horse drawn carts in Victoria!

I’m a Chemist. But a long time since doing any. My downtown rental had a waterbed (fancy eh!). Made me sea sick when the wind beat on the house.

I dont have a laser - but i do fancy one. So i cant comment on the mount.

Enjoy creating.

Sounds like you are well on your way. If you are still interested in suspending @TDE has some videos on hanging it off the wall.

@AndyP is right about playing around with the cnc a bit to get used to it and figure out how you want your setup to be. (Though hold off on the spindle for bit)

You will likely need a hose boom. I would check out @RowdyRoman shop on Etsy.

Sorry to hear about your condition, I lost my father a few years ago to lung cancer. He smoked for an unknown amount of time but also didn’t protect his lungs when working on projects. I miss him every day. :cry: