Onefinity settings and precision, repeatability

I noticed the default setting are at the upper limit of what the machine can do.
I noticed quite a step on a surface when the machine was cornering, probably in the region of 3/10 of a millimeter.

I got my 1F only a few weeks ago, so i am still exploring

I do a variety of cuts with my machine. For the finest work I use 0.25, and am planning to go down to 0.1 mm bits.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of precision and what are the settings I should use?

Right now my settings are
x/y
max velocity 3m/min
max-accel 200km/min2
max-jerk 200 km/m3

z
max velocity 1.5m/min
max-accel 75km/min2
max-jerk 200 km/m3

Cornering speed is
junction-accel 50000 mm/min2.

Another question would be, is the 1F capable at all of this kind of precision [0.1mm] or finer?

Many thanks

1 Like

I have posed similar questions and I think the standard response is this is a “hobby level” machine.

I think others have changed out the stepper motors for servos. Maybe this would help? I don’t know the specs but the hardware seems solid enough.

I hope that you continue this thread because I would also like to do some fine work.

2 Likes

Hey Ziggy,

Check out this post for fine tuning.

Cheers,

Neil

3 Likes

I have had no problems requesting and getting 0.1mm, and even 0.05mm precision from my 1F. For example, I always run a “surfacing” operation on all of my material, even with the supposed S3S stock I get from hardwood suppliers because I need to know the material on the bed is parallel and square to my machine and not some other jointer/planer.

I have 3 standard toolpaths for surfacing, depending on how “surfaced” or cupped/warped the wood is to begin with; these are 0.1mm, 0.2, and 0.25. And, I also regularly carve inlays at 0.1mm resolutions. I have also carved pockets for inlaying engraved brass plates that are 0.8mm thick, and I can definitely tell the difference in pocket depth from 0.7mm and 0.75mm. So, yes, I would say the 1F is more than capable of operating at these tolerances.

For speeds, it really depends on the bit and material. The smallest bit I use on a regular basis is a 3mm end mill at ~1000mm/min, but have recently used as small as a 1.8mm corn cobb bit for a vcarve male clearing path and I slowed that down to 800mm/min carving into oak without any issues.

Also, I have never touched the stock default acceleration settings of the machine. I’m more than familiar with what these settings are used for and what they do, but just never found the need to adjust any of them. I know I remember seeing others cranking the jerk up to something crazy like ten or twenty thousand, but as long as you are not out to break speed records and risk constantly breaking bits, I would not suggest messing with them.

1 Like

I did slow the machine down from the default settings, and it solved any issues.
I have multiple sets of settings saved, so I can very quickly slow the machine down or speed it up again depending on the precision I want.

Backing up just a little (maybe 25% slower than default) seems to make a huge difference in precision.