Onefinty control panel remote (gamepad replacement with lots of extra options)

Some of you where asking for a video to see the remote panel working with all its features, so here it is.

[EDIT] In the video I mistakenly mixed router and spindle together (I thought this was the same thing) But this panel is specifically designed to make a dumb (Makita) “ON / OFF” router more smart. Not for a VFD spindle.

I’ve been sourcing al day for parts and the cost of it is really adding up. Especially al the nice mechanical led switches, the joystick controller, USB ports and Emergency stop button are expensive. Before you read any further, did you had a price for a complete DIY kit in mind? That is all the parts included, Buttons, switches, electronics board, printed / laser cut acrylic panels and even a breakout box connector for the 1f controller. (Not the wood enclosure, but I’ll make a cutting template for it. I guess most of you have some sort of cnc :rofl:)

To be honest, I think the lowest price I can go is about 230€ (approx. $265). Plus shipping from the Netherlands is about 35€ (about $40) extra (for Europe about €15 – €22). For me it’s a bargain/ “introduction” price considering the price of all the parts and the work I still have to do / have done. Especially for such a low volume product. But I also can relate to the user who might think that you can buy a complete gamepad for $45 in the Onefinity store and considers this too much. Especially since you need to solder all the components yourself.

Also, this DIY kit is not for everybody, you need to handle a solder iron. It’s not complicated, all the components are “trough hole” and I will provide documentation. Especially for the components that needs to go in a special orientation. Also, I will provide the Arduino source code for every user that wants to code their own routines. The firmware comes preloaded, but you might need to update the code if Onefinity fixes some bugs in their controller firmware. So a bit handy behind the computer is also useful.

I’m thinking about creating 13 kits and one complete version (for testing purposes first, but can be sold later). After that I’m out of PCB’s, and then we will see if there’s still enough interest to create a next batch. Or maybe a populated PCB with smt components if it’s really hitting popularity levels that this is feasible to do. (So no component soldering)

So what are the thoughts? Still interested?

8 Likes