Since then I have been experimenting and making nothing seriously. But in my time playing around I have encountered two issues.
When making holes with fusion it starts to almost work against itself. This leads to skipping steps and misaligned milling patterns (the circle at z= -5mm are not aligned with the circle at z= -10mm)
Have tried to use the OF post-processor, GRBL, and easel. Easel works.
So the machine is working, therefore the next suspected is the code/software…
Let us know if the update fixes it. Mine was doing the same thing, but I ‘fixed’ it by slowing the speed way down and I was able to finish my wasteboard. I haven’t updated my firmware yet so can’t speak from personal experience if the firmware resolved the issue.
So I’m a bit lost at the tuning for my cnc…
I tried to follow the guide from @cyberreefguru as mentioned in post 5.
This did not help me achieve higher accuracy.
I found that my machine wasn’t completely squared up, so that got taken care of.
If somebody got a hint at what I could have a look at next up I would appreciate it! thx!
The video might be pointing to the problem. That seems like a lot of movement on the dial indicator when you flex the table top. I had some issues with mine initially from not enough rigidity of the table top. The machine could be ‘torquing/winding’ the table on direction change?
In my case it was laziness and I had not put enough screws in securing to bottom MDF. My top is 8020 aluminum frame, braced with I beam to prevent sag, partially torsion boxed, 3/4 MDF on top of that, another layer of 3/4 MDF that is a bit bigger than the footprint of the machine. And a 3/4 spoilboard on top of that.
Once I banged more screws in and got rid of the flex in the top I was good to go. Also, put lags in the feet that went through 2 layers of MDF instead of just 1.
Yes. I have a Woodworker. I haven’t actually used it much. I have spent the last year just trying to build the torsion box / setup. (I have very little time.)
I got the machine to a state to where I was trying to use it to make some drill templates to install the wasteboards. It was here that I ran into what I considered accuracy issues.
I have also been in touch with support. They responded right away and asked me to load and test with Carbide Create. CC seemed to do better. (Too bad it is so primative.) I finally re-did the template in CC and the spacing seemed much more accurate but the holes only bored to .5" rather than “Full depth” like I thought I told it in the setup.
One caveat: I am not sure if the issue is actually a problem with Fusion. Basically I gave up on the touch probe and have been using a sharpened piece of drill stock to find the edges and then using a little math to calculate the center.
I have pretty much lost confidence in the touch probe but this could also just be my inexperience. I have my CC files to Home in the center so I could eliminate the touch probe. I haven’t tried a CC file with the touch probe so the jury is still out on whether Fusion or the touch probe is the issue… or just me.
I am shopping for a different CAD/CAM and can’t seem to find anything. For CAM, MeshCAM seems promising. CAD seems to be a quagmire of open-source gibberish, web-based - namely unreliable - Fusion or pay-through-the-nose professional systems. I have been considering Rhino3D but I can’t get my head wrapped around the concept.
BTW - Onefinity support said that “.005 - .001 inches is the expected accuracy.”