Post up them projects

What is your step over at? 10% or lower?

1 Like

7% or 8% I think. Here is a pic of another similar one I did the same way…

6 Likes

Was thinking how to make one for a neighbor. I like your design and my project is on poplar also.

Try this tutorial out. Its as close as i can find to how I do mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFVKx1Mlij0

3 Likes

Wow that is stunning Chris! Great work, how long did the carve take you? If you could share your Feed’s and Speeds with the folks here it would be awesome.

Thanks,
-Alex

2 Likes

Ivan, thanks for the video link. Is this for Aspire only? What is different that I would not be able to do this in VCarve Pro?

Chris - did I read that right? 2 1/8 DAYS?

1 Like

Was he hooked up to a Red Bull IV? I would have to sleep in the shop.

1 Like

HAHAHA, I’ve had my current CNC for almost 3 years and I still waste time sitting and watching it do its thing. 52 hours of that would be a challenge though.

5 Likes

I’m curious. I’ve often wondered if people let their CNC’s run through the night. Do you also let your dust collection run all night also? Also are you using the Makita or a spindle and if you are using a spindle is it liquid or air cooled? Sorry for all the questions. Still waiting for mine to arrive in late March. UGH!!! I’m not a patient person. Awesome project by the way!!!

Chris,
I agree. I plan on using the Makita until it craps out then move on to a water cooled spindle. As for dust collection I also use a Rigid Shop-Vac. I also recently purchase a Dust Deputy to add to the Vac. I’m hoping it helps with the filter clogging so quickly. I also hope to eventually upgrade to a dust collector I can mount in the second room of my garage/workshop. As the Ridgid is so freaking loud.

1 Like

With VCarve Pro, I don’t think you have the ability to model. See the comparison here:

Just a little something that I whipped up last night

9 Likes

Looks great Glenn. Is that stain or shou sugi ban? Looks great either way!

-Tom

Thanks! I am making these for a buddy’s retirement party. The surface of the staves is the natural patina, although I have no idea the age or the conditions in which the barrel endured. The milled out circles to hold the glassware was then stained with Minwax Polyshades Classic Black in an attempt to look more natural then freshly milled oak.

1 Like

Just a small project for the first one off the machine, a couple of coasters.

5 Likes

Those look very nice - great detail. Is that a ‘jig’ you made to allow production of three at a time? Is it made from MDF or a plastic? Do the recesses allow for a clean final cut? How do you hold down the coaster material/plywood? I noticed that some of the rectangular channels/recesses look to be dovetailed - is that done for a reason? Sorry, so many questions…

Thanks Tom! The fixture is made from Corian (counter top material). Yes, the recesses around the 3 locations allow full cut-thru without cutting the corian. The slots on both sides are to use a pry tool to lift them from the fixture. I place a small piece of carpet tape on each location so that I don’t have to cut thru any tape. When I’m running a bunch of them, if I’m careful, I can do 3 or 4 runs with the same tape. No dovetails… must be the angle of the pic.

The flooring I typically use comes in 12" x 24" rectangles. I cut a 4" piece and stick it down to the fixture. Here’s a pic of it in process.

3 Likes

Thank you for the answers. I appreciate the thought you put into your machine and manufacture setups. Very happy that so many CNC users are happy to share their knowledge.

I was asked to make some coin holder awards for an Army National Guard unit here in SC. This was fun, since I wore this patch while on deployment to Iraq/Kuwait.

Cherry wood finished with Odie’s oil.

19 Likes