Post up them projects

First 2.5 D carve on the Onefinity Cnc. Got some cherry drops from my uncle and made him a sign for the cabin. Rough was .25 endmill @ 210 inches/min and the finish pass was a .5mm ball endmill @ 250 inches/min. Thanks @Mark for executing so flawlessly on your vision and making this awesome machine a reality!

14 Likes

Nice. You roughed with a smaller bit than you finish passed with?

I don’t think so Tom. His roughing pass was with a 1/4" inch end mill and his finish pass was with a .5 mm ball nose if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

Doh! Despite reading it twice I still missed the “mm” for the finishing endmill. I knew something wasn’t right. Turns out it was my comprehension.

2 Likes

Ivan is absolutely correct, I roughed with a 1/4 inch endmill and finished with a .5 mm. The piece is 24" long and took about 2 hours to rough and 5 hours to finish. I was nervous the entire time.

Finished these over the weekend:

16 Likes

Nice! Are you putting out a video on these builds?

Hi Allen - I’ve done a couple videos on the process in the past; I’m happy to make a new one that is a little more OF specific if folks would be interested in it.

-Tom

6 Likes

Oh, cool. I’ll go back and check those out. I was mostly interested in the process and materials!

Yes please!!! I don’t get mine for 2 1/2 months. I just want to see some Onefinitys doing some cuts.

Tom thanks for sharing. Love the costars I was a swimmer back in the day. If you don’t mind me asking what grit do you sand too before the poly.

1 Like

Wife wanted a little sign to fit above the TV in the Living Room.

Cut using 3/4" Laminated 16" x" 60" Pine from Lowes, which I cut down to a 22" and a 30" piece for each word. I then carved out what is now the gray space leaving the letters raised. Then after applying a few coats of Zimmerman’s primer, a few coats of Black Hammer paint were applied to then entire surface.

The painted signs was put back on the OF and a 1" wasteboard bit was utilized to take of .02", essentially removing all of the paint from the letter faces. After the clean wood was exposed, clear Hammer paint was applied to the surface giving it a very unique and cool overall finish.

Came out awesome, wife is happy and the OF handled the job with zero effort at all.

• Cut Speeds FR=70 ipm, DOC=.2 using a 1/8" flat nose endmil.
  • I used Illustrator for the art, then brought it into Easel for the final CAD/CAM work.

-Alex

13 Likes

Hi @scottjritt - the swim coasters are a big hit! I generally try to sand everything to 220 or 320, and polish the epoxy part to 1000. For the coasters, they are simply too small to differentiate between the wood and epoxy so I did the whole thing to 320. If you see pigtails after 320, you can keep going until they are gone (400, 600, 800, 1000, etc.), but honestly, the poly/acrylic fills the marks so it’s not necessary (assuming a couple coats of poly/acrylic with sanding in between). Hope this helps!

-Tom

1 Like

Looks great Alex. I’m still using conservative feed rates from the X-Carve - 70ipm for an 1/8" bit at 0.2 DOC is a little scary to me! Though I have done 80ipm at 0.625 on my X-carve, but it wasn’t too happy about it. I guess I need to branch out :slight_smile:

-Tom

1 Like

LOL, it was super soft pine so that does help out a bit. I would defiantly reduce that to 60 ipm, DOC .1 if I was cutting through anything harder like Oak or Maple.

A brand new bit never hurts either. :slight_smile:

-Alex

Thank You for the info.

What’s your total depth, step over? I am using carbide create pro and got no where close to these results. I have a lot of marks where the bits traveled, and where it met with the lettering. I am new to this, so I would take any help at all!

Thanks,

Hi Matt - can you post some pictures? I’m not sure what you mean by “marks were the bits traveled”. Is the bit dragging on the material or the profile returns to a different location from where it starts?

The conservative settings used with my X-Carve are:

1/8" Up Cut
Feed rate: 40ipm (up to 60ipm)
DOC: 0.0625
Stepover: 90%

I’ve found DOC is far more important than feed rate or stepover for most ops in our hobbyist machines. I’ve slowed things way down and the machine does not perform well until I reduce the DOC. So I always recommend starting at 50% of the bit diameter for DOC. You can move up from there (like Alex). You can see those settings in my latest video.

Hope this helps.

-Tom

2 Likes

Did you keep the bark on this then use the machine to mill it off?

I was responding in regards to McFarlanMade and his sign he did in 3d. He said he runs 300ipm and 150dpc and 7-8% step over. After doing this, this is what I am seeing. IMG_0340 And again that’s with a 1/16" ball nose with .005 step over. I would have thought it should be better than that, but unless I’m missing something or doing something wrong … Just not sure, cause as I stated, i’m new to this. Just got mine a little over a month ago.

Thanks for the help.