Probing inbetween Tool Changes

Thanks Tony. Very helpful.

1 Like

check this one too…

2 Likes

Tony! Awesome dude, I am so glad that you’ve shined light on this matter, I read from another OF member that we had to save our toolpaths in separate files and that this (which you’ve just illustrated, thank you…) was not possible. Well this definitely makes it that much better in one sweep. Thanks again Tony, really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The only issue with that currently is when it pauses to do a tool change you cannot jog the machine in x y or z…so if it doesn’t raise the z high enough you cannot get your bit out…and then your stuck. Just keep that in mind when running multiple tools.

Understood, thank you… will support for tool changes be ever supported?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Possibly. We look at the ‘featured requests’ very often and track the most wanted features.

4 Likes

Thank you, very much!

1 Like

So, what is the trick or technique or relevant setting in CAM software (I use Vcarve Pro), that will get the z axis to raise up when a tool needs to be changed??

I don’t know if I am doing it correctly but when the machine stops for a tool change I just raise the Z with my controler change the bit and probe Z and press go and it stars over.

2 Likes

Ok, that’s weird, Yvon, as just four hours ago OneFinity posted in this thread that “…when it pauses to do a tool change you cannot jog the machine in x y or z…”

I started confused, now must add bewildered.

1 Like

Hi John, this is pretty confusing from Onefinity’s side.

I also managed to jog my Z in between tool changes. I needed to remove my dust boot, but also raise the bit in order to fit my probe under it to probe Z for the new bit. Seemed to work out.

So with multiple toolpaths: I save all the toolpaths using the same bit to one file. In between files, I use my joystick to jog Z up slightly, change out bits, place probe on same XY corner as original file and then just probe Z. Once that is done the next file is ready to be run.

2 Likes

Having separate files is why you can move it. If you had multiple tools in one file is when you cannot adjust z.

2 Likes

BJ, that is contraindicated by what Yvon posted, isn’t it? And in Tony’s video above? Or Yvon, please clarify, did you mean you can adjust Z for a bit change within the same toolpath file, or just between files??

To clarify , all of my toolpath are save separetly for each bit.

It sounds like people are crossing streams here, so lets try to shed some light on it a bit - there are two conversations taking place:

1. Output all gcode together, and use M06 T##
  2. Use separate gcode, with each tool’s code broken out into it’s own gcode file.

Both methods work on the OneFinity (BB Controller)

All GCode together:
This relies on your post-processor knowing that your CAM uses multiple tools, and will inject M06 T## into the GCode. This then relies on your machine’s M06 code (macro) to detect when a tool change is needed, and move the machine to a safe place, so that a tool change can occur. If this is used, the machine is still running (motion control) (please stop the spindle :wink: ) - so you cannot job the machine anywhere, the controller will not let you. If you do it manually (force it) you’ll now be out of step.
(Edit Update) - This only works either when used with the Probe, or some other method for accurately placing the tool bit into the spindle. The system needs to know the difference between the last tool and the new tool. The Probe (as demonstrated in @makingmagick video) creates and stores this off-set, so the machine knows how to compensate. You “could” do this without a probe, if you had an accurate method of setting all tool bits (spacer block, or collet on the bits to register on the spindle cap, etc). But if you do not have a way to register the offsets, your machine will lose Z positioning in relation to your new tool, since you could have tightened it at any height.

Separate GCode Files
With this, each cut for each tool is run independently of the other. You setup the machine for each tool (bit), zero the machine, and run the code. When it’s done, and presumably ready to run the next tool, the program has fully ended. You can jog the machine, or do whatever you want, just as if no program is running (aka - during setup, or when a job is done). Jog the machine to where YOU want it to change the bit, and when complete, load in the next set of GCode (presumably for the next bit) and start a whole new program.

I haven’t tried a M06 on the BB controller yet, so no clue what it has pre-programmed in it’s M06 macro, so can’t speak on where the spindle goes. This should be adjustable, and preferably place the spindle somewhere safe, and spindle at the top of it’s movement. So that you have room to change the tool.

3 Likes

Am I mistaken, or is this working well (meaning one exported gcode file and multi-tool) with the competition, i.e. X-Carve, Shapeoko?

I actually haven’t used a Shapeoko or X-Carve (but do have a Nomad, from makers of Shapeoko, but a different beast all together). But I know the folks at Carbide3D recommend the “Separate GCode” method, simply from a reliability stand point. It contains the same features in the controller, but like the OneFinity, lacks a mounted tool setter, and is dependent on the user performing probing/zeroing. Others have been able to do the same thing as outlined here with an all-in-one, and a probe on Shapeoko as well. I think some have even mounted a fixed tool setter, but none of that was “out-of-the-box”, and required some customization.

I expect the same will occur here, it just takes time. One could easily create a fixed tool setter spot with a Z-touch probe mounted somewhere on one’s machine, alter the tool change macro to position for change, and auto probe after, etc.

For this, I (and most of these machine companies) recommend those who are starting out to simply break out your code into each tool path. Since you’re already having to manually change the bits, or connect a probe, etc, changing out the program isn’t any more effort and its “safer”, as less prone to error.

3 Likes

Good point, Thanks Tim!

As a guy new to cnc with my “woodworker” expected in roughly 3 weeks, this topic is of great interest. At this point I have only used Easel and am curious how you make a design that may require a standard bit but then need a smaller bit or v-bit to get in and complete the fine detail work? Easel allows 2 bits to be used and would generate a g-code for both bits yet based on this thread, it sounds like this can’t be done with the Onefinity. At this stage I don’t plan on buying another program to design and generate g-codes. I guess this has me a bit concerned as the cost to buy another design program (albeit would be significantly better than Easels capabilities) is not something I am entertaining at this time. Any feedback or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I have made carves that use multiple tool paths using different endmills and V carve bits–it definitelycan do it… 2 tool paths are no problem at all. Simply load your first toolpath, run it, when it’s finished change your bit & run your 2nd toolpath. Once you get your machine, there are lots of great people on here to help you walk through the process.