Z axis plunging down while probing for new bit (solved: each tool must be it's own file)

I am using Vectric Pro for the x50 I have. My issue is during a carve and it’s not everytime. When the machine goes to probe for the next bit after doing a bit change to start the next tool path, it will work as normal acting as if it is going to come down slowly to the probe for (z axis), then the machine will lightly touch the probe as normal but then plunges down hard onto the probe itself as if it doesnt connect or isn’t reading the probe. Now this has happened a hand full of times and has broken some bits in the process! Down below I have in detail how I arrange my tool path exporting to be saved and uploaded to the x50.

After reaching out to onefinity directly they informed me I needed to arrange each and every tool path under its own file and could not use the setting (Visible tool paths to multiple files) option. And that only if each toolpath has the same bit are you able to utilize the (save all visible tool paths to multiple files and group where possible) option. However, after talking to multiple different people and watching many “how to” videos. Just about every single person in loading their toolpath files the exact same way that I have been doing it and do not have issues with the machines plunging down on top of the z probe when performing a bit change.

Please help with this if anyone can. Also please dont just say “I would just do what onefinity tells you to do”! I am looking specifically for detailed information to help better understand if I do need to save them separately, then why exactly is this the case? What is the reason exactly to why you are not able to utilize the grouping option. And if you are not able to use this option, then why is it an option the begin with?

For an example of one project im working on and the tool paths etc. I have multiple different tool paths from profile cuts, vcarve and pocket paths all mostly using the same bit for the pockets and profiles, but are using I believe (3) different bits total.

-I try to put the same bit in the carve in order to reduse the amount of bits changes needed and run from there.
-I save the file tool paths normally under ( visible tool paths to multiple files and group where possible) option.
-I perform as normal the X,Y,Z zeroing and probing as required. NORMALLY this is how I do it! And have had it work just fine 9 out of 10 times id say doing in this way using multiple different bits and probing for Z after a bit change works just fine.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this and for your responses! I appreciate the help!

For all Onefinitys without a tool setter, you must separate each tool into it’s own file.
The BB controller is limited and unable to jog/move during a tool change, so it cannot do tool changes.
The Masso controller only does tool changes with a tool setter.

Whatever you are watching or people you are talking to are not using Onefinity machines.

The final answer is any Onefinity machine that does not have a tool setter must separate each tool into it’s own file.

2 Likes

Hey Sean,

a g-code file with multiple tool changes works fine with the Buildbotics and the buildbotics-derived Onefinity controller. It’s just that you have to put a useful tool-change routine into the ‘tool-change’ field on the SETTINGS page (there is no useful routine in this field on the stock Onefinity). You can use my Aiph5u’s ‘tool-change’ routine.

But I am not sure if this is your issue. There exist many issues around the Z axis not doing what it should. Search for Z plunge issue. Some are caused by bugs in newer firmware, some by cable breaks in the ‘curly’ Z stepper cable, some are caused by EMI due to the use of non-shielded stepper cables on the machine, and some by bit slipping due to the mediocre ability of the hand trim router’s collet to hold bits (in comparison to ER collets on spindles and 43 mm “Euro” milling motors).

Probably the Onefinity manufacturer simply doesn’t want to bother with it. But the original creator of the Buildbotics firmware instructs you how you can enter a useful tool-change routine into the ‘tool-change’ field.

1 Like

Hey Sean,

electrical contact is also important for a fault-free probing. Remember, you close a contact when the tip of the bit touches the touch plate. For this, the connectors and cables of the XYZ touch plate must be in order (no internal cable breakage, no corrosion on the Molex contacts), but also a fault-free electrical contact between the magnetic probe/collet and the end of the bit. A bit or collet that is contaminated with caked-on wood dust on the shank or inside the collet could cause problems when probing.

By the way, you did not say whether you use the hand trim router or a spindle, nor did you say which firmware version you are running. Probing with a spindle does not need the magnet end of the probe (see here for details).

2 Likes

I didn’t think of the build issue in collet, however I am well aware there is a connection when touching the probe so that the machine is able to determine when it touches to know (z). I am using the standard Makita router for this machine for now.

Firmware version I would have to ge back on as I dont remember which I have, however I do think it needs to be updates as of today and think I will go ahead and do so.

My main conflict with the statements made about having to choose every single tool path and put it in its own file, is that many people I see via YouTube or other that may have a carve with multiple tool changes and tool paths and choosing the (all visible in separate files and group where possible option) as there go to. I will also ad again that the machine doesnt have the sudden plunge down into the probe issue every time! It has only done this a handful of times but it’s enough to break smaller bits.

I am still pretty new to cnc machines and are trying to learn sooner than later!!

The other issue that I have with doing things this way (choosing the separate every single file) is during a double sided carve. It seems when I save them, and it’s time for the backside carving. It then more or less “forgets” about having to flip the material over and then off centers itself unlike if you just group them together in separate files, then the onefinity “prompts” you to rotate to finish the back of material.

So in other words I feel although they advertise this machine to be “the most user friendly”. I feel that it is far from this in my opinion and feel it should be easier for the tool paths. But again, maybe I am wrong in that statement.

I will take a look and the steps you replied above and see if this helps. Thanks

Hey Sean,

As long as you don’t have a special reason to use another version like wanting to select the new PwnCNC spindle in the settings page or the newer Z-20 heavy Z assembly, which is provided with versions 1.2.x and higher, I would stick with the most stable version 1.0.9.

Versions 1.1 and 1.1.1 are highly buggy and have been revoked. Don’t use them.

1 Like