Probing X, Y, & Z

Was using Onefinity for a couple hours with no issue. Then while Probing XYZ after changing the material, it started pushing the Probe Block around. Rebooted the controller, worked once. Manually set XYZ and the Onefinity ran great. Tried Probing again and it started pushing. Here’s the odd part - during one probe, it would push while probing X. Next time it pushed while probing Y. I have not had any issues probing Z. Ideas? Recommendations? I have not upgraded to 1.1.1.

Maybe the bit is not clean and does not make a good electrical connection with the probe block when it makes contact.

Hey JP,

I second @SkyKam. The usual cause of such a problem is that the closing of the electrical circuit, which must happen to achieve probing with a touch probe, does not happen cleanly. Either the surface of the bit, the touch probe or the magnet probe is not properly conductive (dust, grease, corrosion), or you have a bad contact in the cable or in the connector of the touch probe/magnet probe.

Concur with first two replies. Assuming you have the factory magnetic probe, you can try to take a short piece of wire with alligator clips on either end; clip one around the actual bit itself (upper part not on the sharp cutting edge), and the other clip can be stuck to the factory magnet part of the probe.

I had the wire leading from the magnet part of the probe completely fall off because of simple strain/stress, and was experiencing this same issue until the wire just dropped off like a scab one day. I threw the magnet away and just soldered on an alligator clip before some guy named Robert became my uncle.

1 Like

The solution is buy a 1/4" steel dowel pin (Amazon) and use that for probing x,y. Yes, it’s an extra step, but you get repeatable, reliable probing.

2 Likes

Sounds reasonable, I’ll check that when I get home - Thank you!

I have an old endmill that I broke the tip off. I’ve rounded off the tip and I can try that! I don’t mind the extra step in return for a quality operation. Thank you!

1 Like

That’s what I use always. Never fails me :ok_hand: