Starting off with a round piece of wood?

If I make a platter on my lathe and want to use either a laser or carve an image onto it how would I go about it? I’m still almost two months out from receiving my 1F but I’m coming up with ideas I would like to try. One would be turning something like a plate on my lathe (since I can do both sides and I don’t think a router bit could get it as smooth as I can on the lathe). But with no corner to zero off of what would be the easiest way?

The best I can come up with would be to either zero each axis manually. Or I could mount a block in what would be the lower left corner and zero off of that and then rezero the Z axis at the center of the plate. Is there a better way?

@Dr-Al you can set your zero from the middle, the main issue you might have is if the plate has a contour finding the right z zero.

If you bought the touch plate @charleyntexas will be able to give you a lot better advise than I can but he has a simple program that you can zero from multiple places and I think circles are include.

Hello Dr-Al,

I agree with Gary ! @charleyntexas has a great write up about the triquetra toolbox companion for onefinity that will allow you to zero to center on round objects, costs $20 as of right now and seems to be a good investment for your particular projects (Windows only, no fruits).

Thread here:

Triquetra Toolbox Companion:

I would zero X and Y off the center of your turning… For Z axis, two easy options: zero off the wasteboard, or find the highest point of the turning and zero off of that using the paper method.

That way when you flip the piece your XYZ zeros don’t change.

-Mark

The Triquetra Tool Box Companion for OneFinity makes zeroing to the center of a circle easy. Below is a screen shot of the Tool Box page that generates a zeroing gcode file that will set your X Y and Z axis to the center of a circle using your OneFinity Touch Plate. (Also works if you have a Triquetra Touch Plate).

If you study the image you will notice the use of bump stops. One along the front of the machine parallel to the X axis travel and one on the left parallel with the Y axis travel. You will also notice there is a small scrap of wood in the corner where the two bump stops meet. This is where the touch plate will be probed at. If your circle won’t fit with the scrap that is ok. Just remove the circle temporarily as it is not needed during the zeroing process. After zeroing is completed, remove the touch plate and scrap and then put your circle in place insuring that it touches the bump stops . Then send your machine to X Y Z zero and your ready to go.

Keep in mind that the zeroing file that is generated will only be valid for a circle of that diameter and thickness AND the diameter of the bit. Change any of thjose and you will need to create a new file.

This also works with your Laser. However, before zeroing with a Laser be sure to follow all the safety steps to prevent damage to your laser if something goes wrong. NEVER tell your machine to jog to X Y Z zero with your laser attached. ALWAYS remove it first then tell it to jog to X Y Z zero then re attach it if needed.

Hope this helps,

Charley Thomas

Triquetra CNC

1 Like