Stronger Suckit Dust Shoe Arm

I just finished upgrading my dust shoe to one that:

1.	Is stronger to support extra weight of larger dust shoe with 4” hose
2.	Has larger interior vacuum cavity
3.	Uses factory (Suckit) Z-independent dust collection rails
4.	Allows mounting from the front of the machine, just like the factory version

As a result, I needed to design and 3D print new, stronger, Suckit dust arm without the hard stop on the end of the main channel.

This newly designed Suckit arm, along with the link to the dust shoe I used, AND the FreeCAD v20.x design file for the arm, have all been posted to Thingiverse and Prusa Printers websites.


Great job, I too had issues with the stock arms and had already crack one, (too quick on the joystick). Built mine in Onshape and made them stick out another 1/4 inch to center the spindle when using small short bits. At least now I can print a spare after a bonehead move into a hold down. Appreciate you sharing your design, nice work.

1 Like

Hey @SurfinGump this is great! I see the arms, but not the dust boot that goes with it. Can you share that as well? Even just a pic?

1 Like

The link for the dust shoe is in the descriptions on Thingiverse and Prusa websites and is the following:

Note: the author of the dust shoe provides the full design file created in SolidWorks CAD format, and, I did have to “manipulate” the model as technically the Suckit design is not proprietary to Onefinity and the shoe was a tad too wide with the magnetic wings screwed on. But all I did was chop the height down inside my 3D printer slicer program before sending to the printer. The other thing is I had to use a flapper sanding wheel from a Dremel, and 5 minutes of time to grind down the mounting holes on the inside ring so the Makita router can fit all the way down inside.

Here’s some photos showing size comparison, how it clears for homing the machine, and where all I have left to do is attach the dust brush, drive to my nearest Woodcraft for the flexible hose (great price and quality #shoplocal), and 3D print a 4" version of the hose clamp that goes around the Z-axis stepper motor.

Shoe clears for homing if not lowered to the absolute lowest level:

Size comparison with stock shoe:

Makita clears nicely now:

The whole reason I designed the new arms, so the shoe can go beyond the hard stop:

How and what I ground down with the Dremel:

Showing how thin I made (how much I chopped off) the magnetic wings: