Toolpaths saved in Carveco not showing up on Masso

Brand new to the CNC universe. Using the free Carveco license that was part of the Elite package deal in November. I saved my first toolpath with one of the Onefinity file types, with .ncg extensions. The file does not show up when I try to load the file on the Masso controller. I notice that the Elite test carve has a .nc extension. When I changed my file name to a .nc extension, it shows up on the controller.

So I have 2 questions. Should the Onefinity file types in Carveco be writing .nc extensions? In lieu of using Onefinity file types, what file type should I choose when saving toolpaths?

Thanks!

This may be the blind leading the blind as I have written a toolpath with Carveco - but yet to use it. When I used save toolpath as to save my toolpath I clicked on the down arrow to the right of the filename and there were a list of extensions including Onefinity No Toolchange inches. I chose that one and it has the extension .ngc not ncg.

My bad. Typo. I meant .ngc. Thatā€™s the same file type I first chose. But all the Onefinity types in that list are showing as .ngc extensions.

Found a Vectric tutorial that shows saving toolpaths for Onefinity machines with .ngc extensions. However, those machines were pre- Elite. So, it looks to me as if Carveco may be saving toolpaths correctly, but the Masso controller is not reading .ngc files as a properly saved toolpath.

1 Like

I think you are selecting the wrong ā€˜post processorā€™ for the Elite machine, hence the wrong file type. You are selecting the post processor for the original Onefinity machines (X50\X35) which is why it is saving the file as .ngc.
You need to be selecting Masso as your machine type\post processor when you save the toolpath and leave this as your default. That way you will get the .nc file type you need. I donā€™t use Carveco but this is what you have to do in Vectric, so I imagine it will be the same.

1 Like

Ah! Thanks for your reply @Chucky82 . I do see that there are some Masso filetypes in the list that will write .nc files.

I assume the first entry Masso-Arcs-ATC is the one I should use. Iā€™ll give that a try this afternoon.

Thanks again.

Thatā€™s the one you need 100%. Itā€™s the same option in Vectric.

1 Like

Just to be clear Masso-Arcs-ATC in either inches or mm is what you want.

Carveco will soon be releasing an update where the post processors for Onefinity will be listed something like this:

Onefinity BB Inches
Onefinity BB MM
Onefinity Elite Inches
Onefinity Elite MM

BB = The original Buildbotics based controller
Elite - The Masso controller

This should help clarify things :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yep, that worked! Thanks! :smile:

1 Like

Yes, that will be helpful.

My machine comes in this week and I am playing with CarveCo now and this is a life saver.

For the Elite I did see something on a FB post about needing to send M codes to actually turn on the vacuum. Does anyone know if this is something Carveco will handle automatically or do we need to edit the files manually or ??

1 Like

Sorry, Iā€™m not sure as Iā€™m still waiting on my Elite Journeyman. I know thatā€™s a useless reply but didnā€™t want to ignore you.

1 Like

I donā€™t know this definitively but Iā€™ve read in the Elite sales materials that the router and vacuum just need to be plugged into the power supply to be controlled by Masso.

https://www.onefinitycnc.com/post/introducing-the-new-onefinity-elite-series-powered-by-masso#:~:text=(Wi-Fi%20is%20NOT%20required,to%20use%20the%20Onefinity%20CNC).&text=Have%20your%20router%20and%20vacuum,will%20control%20it%20for%20you.

Masso will turn on the Vacuum but the post processor you use will have to put that command in the G code file or you would have to do it manually, my Vectric PP does it automatically.
Pat

1 Like

This is true to an extent, the g code program still needs to tell the Masso controller to turn the vacuum via the M8 for on and M9 for off, these codes are typically described as flood coolant, you may see an option in whatever application youā€™re using to generate your g code to turn on flood coolant - sometimes it is specified as part of the tool in the library.

1 Like

Lookig at this thread because Iā€™m having an issue with a Carveco v carve file. Im saving my toolpaths in nc but the only one that shows up on the Masso g3 is the profile cut. The v carve text isnā€™t there.

Hi Jeffrey, Iā€™m going to assume you are a new user of Carveco. If thatā€™s not the case then I donā€™t have any useful advice for you. But, if you are a new user then maybe you are bumping into what I did when I first tried to save toolpaths to a thumb drive.

I found the Carveco terminology less than intuitive when trying to first learn the software.

After calculating 2 or more toolpaths and clicking on the Save Toolpaths icon, you get a window with a left and right side. I wonder if you may not be moving the toolpaths on the ā€œcalculatedā€ (left) side to the ā€œToolpaths to saveā€ (right) side befor clicking on the save button.

1 Like

Actually when i move all of the toolpaths to the left thae save button grays out and i canā€™t save anythingā€¦

Figured it out, thanks!!