Trying to cut air as a test but can not

The problem is that I am trying to cut the test file that is loaded on the controller from the factory. Without cutting anything. Cutting air. I can not seem to manually set the zero, it seems to look for the probe and then faults out with a z axis e stop. Always saying 4 plus mm out of range. How do I get around this? I would think this would be easy, however it is getting maddening. I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE TOUCH PROBE! I would think that once everything is zerod out it would run the g code.

Hey Todd,

2 Likes

The code I am trying to run is the code that is made by Onefinity and loaded on the controller. I have to assume they know what they are doing .

How do I handle this? How do I correct this? I know the machine is working, however what setting do I have to use?

Hey Todd,

sure, and what they say about this file is:

Further video watching

1 Like

ugh. I missed the point of the probe. That makes sense. Thanks guys.

If you’re wanting to probe manually, there is no need to hit the probe z button at all. Lower your spindle/router to where you want to set z zero. Once you have it at the height you want your z zero, touch the map marker icon (inverted teardrop icon) on the z line only. Once you’ve do that, your z is set to zero at that location.

1 Like

Hey Todd,

the long answer is: If you are running a g-code program (i.e. the machine is in auto mode and not in manual mode) and the machine encounters a G38.2 (Straight Probe) command, the only way to escape this command is to allow the machine to finish the probing procedure with a successful result. So you must necessarily “give” it the touch probe, and reachable in its path of movement. And this makes sense: The purpose of the probing is to enable the machine to “see” where its cutter tip “is” and where your workpiece begins. If the program would proceed after an unsuccessful probing command, it would work completely blindly, not knowing where the workpiece is, and especially when it concerns Z probing, not knowing how long its milling bit is. No one would want that.

The difference to the g-code programs most users use here is that they don’t have probe commands in it. They probe XYZ manually before starting the program.

Thank you for the response. The problem is on my side. I had made an assumption that the g code for the sign would not have needed the probe, considering that not everyone would have ordered the proble. so why provide code as a quick start that could not be done? This was a mistake that I made. Almost all of my experiience is with "prfessional " CNC machines. I am a MEchanical engineer in the aerospace induxtry. So the order of operation is different. I am finding the "simplified " machine harder to use. Than k you for the response and now that I know what is going on , not a problem.

1 Like