Uh-oh. what's this? time to panic?

This is occurring on a long finish carve. The machine keeps chugging along, but this warning screen keeps popping up. Sometimes it is motor 1, sometimes motor 3. Sometimes each one within a few lines of the other. The only thing that has changed since these warnings were not appearing has been the addition of a web cam.

Stop the job? Unplug the system? Put in a frantic call for help from Onefinity?

This discussion on the BuildBotics controller forum maybe relevant/helpful to diagnose what is happening,
Fault Output - Buildbotics Forum

Pin 21 on the DB 25 connector activates when a motor driver fault occurs. The meaning of ā€˜activeā€™ and ā€˜inactiveā€™ can be defined on the ā€˜I/Oā€™ tab on the ā€˜Settingsā€™ page. For instance, if the ā€˜faultā€™ output is configured for lo-hi, it means that the pin will be low (ground) when it is inactive and high when it is active.

Motor driver faults can occur due to incorrect motor wiring, a defective (or incompatible) motor, a bad FET, or a defective motor driver. Driver faults are also reflected on the ā€˜Indicatorsā€™ tab on the ā€˜Controlā€™ page.

The meaning of high has changed with our latest controllers (those delivered after September of 2021). A high is now nominally 5 Volts whereas high was 3.3 Volts in older units.

The newer controllers also have an auxiliary 15-pin DSUB connector and it also presents a ā€˜faultā€™ pin. It is wired directly to the motor drivers and its state is not configurable. If the output is at 5V, no motor fault is being detected. If it is at 0V, a motor driver fault has been detected.

Hey Jim,

can you let the controller cool down (power down a few hours) and say whether the issue persists or only appears after a period of vigorous activity, and if so, how long until it reappears?

By the way, whatā€™s the ambient temperature in your workshop?

It is 70 degrees F constant. I wouldnā€™t call it vigorous activity - it is a 1/16" ball nose running at 8400 RPM and 40IPM. Depth per cut is about 1/16". It has been through rigorous activity - cutting cabinet sides and drilling the shelf pin holes was a LOT more demanding (physically) than this work. Then again, this 3D job has 266,000 lines of G-Code. Maybe the controllerā€™s brain is running hot from all the calculations ā€¦

I hesitate to say it (because we all know the problem will immediately reappear if it is mentioned) but the issue has not reappeared since I posted the first note in this thread. There are roughly 2 hours remaining. Iā€™ll shut things down for the night and see if the messages reappear during tomorrowā€™s workday.

You, sir, are a mensch. Always there with a cheerful helping hand. I thank you.

Jim

1 Like

Thatā€™s because his is sitting in his living room in all the boxes :laughing: Once he sets it up weā€™ll never hear from him again because heā€™ll be making chips :wink: Assuming his wife is tolerant enough to allow him to power that puppy up. At least mine is in the garage.

3 Likes

Jim, you are a hard, hard man. Good on ya! :grin:

:slight_smile: My wife would have killed me if I left the boxes in the living room for even a day much less a week. I always thought she was pretty tolerant (this isnā€™t the first time Iā€™ve bought something like this with not much plan as to what to do with it) but there are lines even I wonā€™t cross. :wink:

2 Likes

So, did you have to seek her blessing to make this big purchase; or, did you buy and ask forgiveness after the fact?

And regarding our friend with the boxes on the living room floor ā€¦ One must be careful about pushing spousal boundaries. Wives are brilliant, loving, and supportive. Thereā€™s a reason theyā€™re known as ā€œthe better half.ā€ When made to be angry, they can become ā€œTomā€ of ā€œTom and Jerryā€ fame. All sweetness and light while theyā€™re plotting their revenge. You never see it coming, and then you are laying on the floor in pieces. Iā€™ve been married for 43 years. Wouldnā€™t change a thing.

Jim

3 Likes

I bought a book about building my own (I have an idea of making a set of 3D carved entry doors for our new house so I needed something larger than the Shopbot Desktop). The doors were her idea. Then we were shopping for lights & fixtures & things like doorknobs and she saw one she loved but not the price (almost as much as the 1F). I suggested I could make these things for her. She just sighed but did not say no, donā€™t do that. Thatā€™s kind of like ā€œsure, you should do thatā€ around here :smiley:

We just celebrated 40 Saturday. I should have been more attentive & helpful with the kids but weā€™ve got time to make up somewhat for lost opportunities. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congrats on the 40. when you reach 50 you are off probation.

2 Likes

I should be off now - I met her when we were 16 and got married in college. I donā€™t really remember much of life without her :slightly_smiling_face:

Always told her we can never divorce because itā€™d be impossible to break someone new in :grin:

1 Like

We married when I was 20 and she was 21. I tried to get off probation at 50 years. She said ā€œOh Bud, you are old, fat, bald, ugly and have no money, go for it honey you are any womanā€™s dreamā€.

That was 54 years ago and I guess she was right!

Met at college when I was 17.

3 kids and 6 grandchildren later itā€™s too late to change now.

Life is good.

4 Likes

Hey Jim, hey Jim,

Jeez!

• ā€¦would have killed meā€¦
  • ā€¦lines I wonā€™t crossā€¦
  • ā€¦pushing boundariesā€¦
  • ā€¦seek her blessingā€¦
  • ā€¦ask forgivenessā€¦
  • ā€¦plotting their revengeā€¦

My goodness, when I hear you talk, I must consider myself a very happy person.

Of course, every person is a unique individual, and no matter who you are with, it is normal that you sometimes get the impression that the other is not from the same planet as you.

But I donā€™t know whether I should laugh or sympathize with you when I read what thoughts you have or should have had when planning the purchase of your CNC.

That sounds at times like youā€™re with an enemy. ā€œDonā€™t cross linesā€, isnā€™t that war terminology?

I am obviously in a minority here, because I am neither retired, nor do I need the CNC machine for my hobby (my hobby is something completely different), nor does anyone at home lack deep conviction and trust in the joint investments.

But I think this is all about respect. I believe that you should respect everyone else, especially those you live with or work with, but you also get unhappy when you are with someone who doesnā€™t respect you.

1 Like

Yep. My wife never even asked how much it cost. Itā€™s just one more of my toys. She would likely be more interested if I go ahead with the Tormach Iā€™m noodling. But thatā€™s a year off. Or maybe when I retire.

Guys, my note was tongue in cheek. All is splendid in Tomahawk, Wisconsin.

2 Likes

Is this the married young and for a long time club? If so Iā€™m IN. Married at 20 she was 18, been married now 48 years. and have a onefinity journeyman. I think I qualify. lol.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. In a crazy world, a solid and deeply loving marriage is a gift. Glad to meet you.

Jim