VCarves are consistently off

Posting here by chance this is machine related because I don’t know what else if could be. I have the Elite Foreman with the qcw on a DIY table. When I do a Vcarve the upper left of the project is always higher than the lower left. I’ve surfaced my wasteboard so that should be flat and I clamp the material down with a combo of tape and hold down clamps. But nearly every project I run a vcarve on that goes around the whole project, I get the carve blown out in the top right. It’s as if the table is slanted but even then the surfacing should compensate for that. Its most evident when I make stars in a flag. The stars in the top left are 10% larger than the stars in the bottom right.

1 Like

Hey Mark,

have you ensured that your machine is rectangular (“squared”) (bar gauge) and coplanar (“not twisted”) (fishing line method) .

In both cases if it is not accurately adjusted, not only you can get parallelograms instead of rectangles, but also workpieces with a twisted surface. Surfacing the wasteboard will not help against lack of coplanarity (twisted machine base), the machine will only reproduce the twist on the workpiece surface. Also if any of both is not accurately adjusted, the Y movement can block.

1 Like

I never checked for square as I used the QCW and based on how I see it is assembled and so rigid I assumed if it was manufactured properly the CNC had to be square. I don’t that would cause my issue either. Coplanar could be though and that is something I was thinking might be suspect. I plan to check this tomorrow

1 Like

Hey Mark,

the good thing with the QCW Frame is that the Any Surface Leveling System Feet are now included, which make adjusting coplanarity easy.

1 Like