X-Axis Grinding and Binding (solved, bad wire connection)

Has anyone come across a problem with the X-Axis binding and moving in the wrong direction when jogging. I was in the middle of a carve when it jumped off course and continued carving off its original position.

I’ve cleaned the Y-Axis ball screws but I can not get the X-Axis ball screw come out of the housing. I have the X50 Journeyman with the four bolts that attach the X Axis ball screw. The grinding has me thinking its is a hardware issue but the jogging in the wrong direction sounds like a software issue.

What I’m experiencing: Onefinity X-Axis Grinding Problem - YouTube

3 Likes

Hey JCWood,

it’s always good to look at FAQ → Troubleshooting first:

See also here for more details.

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes
1 Like

Thanks @Aiph5u I’ve gone through some of these steps but will try the other this evening. It’s hard to find this stuff in the forum sometimes.

@OnefinityCNC Do you all have a recommended way of removing the X-axis ball nut? I have removed the four bolts, but the ball screw does not come out as easy as the Y-axis ball nuts did.

Hey JCWood,

1 Like

Thanks but I’ve already been through that video several times. I doesn’t show how to remove the ball screw on the X-axis. The faces of the ball screws on the Y-axis are external and come out with out issue. However, the X-axis ball screw sits internal to the housing and does not come out when moving the X rail.

Hey JCWood,

did you think of X oil port?

1 Like

No I did not! I think that is definitely the issue. I’ll give it another try this evening. I’ll definitely search the forum more in-depth next time, it does seems like all the information is scattered though.
Thanks!

Hey JCWood,

FAQ and FAQ → Troubleshooting is always a good start :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Aiph5u - Maybe time to revist the making that Wiki we exchanged one may a year or so back - might save you a bit of time. :grinning:

1 Like

Hey Andy,

(OT) you are so right.

The problem is always the same at the moment: I have not enough time to make the website with my knowledge, but enough pauses in my work to simply answer what’s pending here. I am just too helpful to leave people hanging with their problem in the moment they share it.

But as you can often see, just providing a good FAQ or Wiki is no guarantee that it will be consulted. People are Stone Age beings.
Want to talk rather than to read.

3 Likes

If you’re referring to me, I did read quite a bit before posting on this site. Yes, I am at fault for not knowing how to navigate the forum correctly. Before, I was strictly using the search bar and I see now that is not the way to go. I appreciate your help with that. In the 7 months of owning my Onefinity this my first time posting anywhere for help. All I have seen on most of the posts here are people with more knowledge and experience act like its a burden to assist others. This seems to be the standard of assistance one can expect to receive. Again, I appreciate the direction.

1 Like

Hey JCWood,

my observation is rather based on a few decades of observation :slight_smile: It’s true that most of the information that comes from the users is scattered widely across the forum, but I think it’s exactly the search function that helps. However, it is sometimes necessary to try variations of a word and combinations before getting the results you are looking for. This forum has given me a lot of information for which I am grateful, and I have used the search especially.

I have also tried to give something back, always in small portions, and what Andy surely meant is that it would be good if this was already nicely organized in a user wiki, and of course that would be good.

At the same time, one can observe that the manufacturer (who runs the forum) notices when certain problems arise more often and has made and continues to make documents under FAQ for all sorts of issues and problems. But the culture of first reading the manuals and FAQ before asking is such a thing that is not basically cultivated in humans, that’s what I meant.

What you may sometimes think you observe could also be something else. I am always happy when I can help, it gives me a nice feeling of joy, but there is something that can work against this joy. This is when you have made the effort to write something down well arranged and with good explanatory links, and sometimes someone comes along who doesn’t think it necessary to have searched for it once or if so, to find out what’s behind the links, but instead wants to have it explained again, just for him personally. If one points out then that the writing was already invented, then one must not confuse this in no case with the assumption that someone would not be helpful.

But I did not mean you with everything I meant, only the hint that the culture, in the web (and also already earlier in the net) to always look first for the three letters “FAQ” before you ask, and to show that you have done your own research, usually leads to the people in a forum help you very gladly and also very individually :wink:

But with your issue, it was good that you asked individually, because in fact the X-50 oil port was not covered in the ball screw replacement help document.

Will you report what cause you will find for the axis grinding, binding and moving in the opposite direction? Will it be what axis opposite direction, axis binding and grinding have pointed to?

PS:

If one of the two stepper motor coils has a bad contact (check the molex connectors crimp or if tin-plating on contact is damaged/oxidized/worn), a stepper can make this noise (and not move as it should). But first of all, I would say your machine has decidedly too much FM radio noise! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

PS:

However, there may be other impressions

2 Likes

I’m glad that you solved your problem. I had the exact same problem about two weeks ago, and by following Onefinity’s guidelines, also found it to be a bad wire connection (in my case, the bad wire was inside the left Y rail.) I notified Onefinity tech support, and they sent me a replacement cable right away. I guess I should have posted my experience on this forum so that others might have benefited from it.

1 Like

Hey there JCWood. Im having this exact same issue currently and its infuriating. Can I ask what specific wire issue you had? I cleaned my machine (ball nuts and everything) and checked my wires for pins pushed in but didnt see any. What were your steps to fix?

1 Like