XYZ probe is setting Z too deep

Edit: My probe measurements are indeed off. The Z thickness is not the same throughout the probe. See my measurements in the pictures.

I posted this on the FB group and still didn’t get any answers.

Whenever I probe XYZ, my Z height is always about 2mm too deep. I always have to flip the probe run a separate Z probe before I load and run my file. I’ve done the fine-tuning that Charley posted on the forum and added the numbers to the settings. I’ve measured the block with two different calipers and got an average of 15mm on the Z height. Please advise y’all…

I’ve never futzed with this as mine looks to be damn close but if it is a consent 2mm too deep why not just lie to the fine-tuning box?

1 Like

If I change the numbers in the settings or lie, it might solve my XYZ probing problem, but it won’t fix when I probe for just Z. I want it to work the right way whenever I probe for either.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed that too about having to press enter before saving. I still have not figured out my problem yet. I might have to contact the folks at Onefinity directly
to see about getting help, or a new probe.

What software are you using? Where is your origin defined and is there an offset?

The touchprobe thickness should be consistent. When you say it varies are you talking thousandths on an inch?

Yeah, I’m talking thousandths of inches, and I know that’s not a lot, but I have no explanation of why my probe, or the controller software is not working. My software I’m using, if it makes a difference, is Aspire. My origin is always lower left corner, and there is not an offset. My stock is as flat as can be, as I run everything through my drum sander before carving. This is not the first probe I’ve ever used. This is not the first probe that I’ve bought from Charley either. I’m very familiar with the quality and accuracy from previous blocks, that’s why I know something is off.

May be worth a video or some screen shots of all the setup screen in aspire (or provide a gcode example) and the some photos or video of the setup process. Hopefully it is something ‘silly’ but as you said, you have some experience with others so it does seem something is off. A mm is nothing to scoff at.

1 Like

Ok folks, I’ve made a video of my problem:

3 Likes

@charleyntexas can you help me out please?

Well I’ll be damned… That be confusing…

Lol, I’ve been scratching my head for days. This has ruined a couple of my projects until I figured out what was going on. After EVERY XYZ probe, I have to take an extra step and probe Z before I can start cutting. It takes less than 30 seconds to do, but it’s very annoying.

I will test this evening on mine… I have 1.0.6 installed but have only done xyz zero once. Normally only using the probe for z.

Thanks. I’m looking forward to seeing your results.

Is your wasteboard flattened? Try flattening it and retry setting xyz zero. When your doing xyz zero, your probing off the top right corner…but it’s setting those settings for where it returns to after it probes…the bottom left of the probe. When you did z, it’s probing for the exact same spot that you tested after your removed the probe.
I think it’s the unevenness of your wasteboard, especially in the corners around where the screw holding it to the table is pulling things taught.
When flattening your wasteboard, don’t use the probe, just use the paper method, but try to find the ‘highest’ spot on the wasteboard and make that z zero.

1 Like

My wasteboard is flat. I made sure it was flat before I Vcarved the 2-inch grid pattern on it. I even checked it with a level and straight edge. I’ve probed for Z before at the exact location of XY at the corner with the probe right side up and upside down. I only get the problem when I probe XYZ. Are there any other solutions you might have or any videos you want me to record?

You flattened it with a bit in the router?

lol, yes. I screwed down the waste board first. Then flattened it with a 1 inch surfacing bit.

I’m on 1.0.6 also. I can’t remember if it was happening before the update though.

try reverting back to 1.0.5 and give it a try. let us know.

1 Like

That is very odd and I haven’t seen this happen before. I will test it out on my machine when I get back to the shop. I don’t know how you measured the thickness of your touch plate but here is a method that uses the machine to measure it for you and should make z axis zero very accurate.

You will need a conductive surface to place your touch plate on such as a piece of aluminum. You could use a piece of foil but be sure it is flat against a piece of wood under it.

Place the touch plate on top of the conductive surface and position your bit for a normal Z axis only zeroing procedure above the target circle. Then enter the following code on the MDI line hitting enter to send the code.

G21; G92 Z0; G38.2 Z-25 F25; G92 Z0; G1 Z25 F700

The machine will be set to metric mode and the spindle will probe down to the touch plate and set the current location to Z0 then raise up 25mm and stop.

Move your touch plate out from under the bit but leave it in contact with the conductive surface to provide continuity for the next probing move. Be sure that the touch plate will be clear of the spindle when it goes down but still making contact with the conductive surface.

Lower your bit so that it is close to the conductive surface and send the following code through the MDI line

G38.2 Z-50 F25

The spindle will probe down and stop when it touches the conductive surface. When it stops don’t move the spindle and take a look at the position of the bit in the coordinates read out box for the Z axis. This will be the true thickness of your touch plate. Enter that value on the Settings tab for the touch plate measurements and try your test again.

When probing to the touch plate when it is upside down you should probe to the same area of the touch plate that is used when it is right side up. In other words, you should be inline with where the target circle is and not in the center of the touch plate. This will negate any unlikely variations in the touch plate.

Charley Thomas
Triquetra CNC

6 Likes