43mm Euro spindle

I have two Bosch 1/2” routers and would love to be able to use them on my Journeyman. If you come up with a finished design I would be happy to be your first customer

So I had some fun again tonight!
This is a easy way for a 43mm mount. It uses a standard Openbuild 43mm mount, a standard 80mm Onefinity mount and two easy to make plates. It might need rotating to get to the power switch, as it is now, it’s offset 2.5 mm to get the mount flush with the front, 75 mm down from the 80mm Onefinity mount.
Enjoy

7 Likes

This is a clever solution that can take advantage of the many 43 mm mounts available. It would not be difficult to find one that has the configuration/sizing you need, leaving as you mention, only two plates to mill and tap.

Hey Terje,

good idea, good design and nice pictures again!

One thougt: I think people who like such milling motors would appreciate it very much if there was a motor mount for the milling motors with quick tool change, like Mafell FM 1000 WS, the Mafell FM 1000 PV WS and the AMB milling motors with tool change.

You can see one in the video of the someone who managed to design and make a dust boot that is controlled independently from the milling motor

By the way, the Mafell FM 1000 PV-WS and FM 1000 PV ER (with ER collet) have a speed control port that you could control via a PWM converter by the Onefinity controller. You could control the rotational speed using G-code commands from the g-code program like you would do with a spindle.

1 Like

I love that setup! Seems very logical & clean. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. I sure wish those spindles were available is the US. So far I haven’t found any sources for it. Many of them are 220v, but there are some 110v variants available. I think their low RPM still starts at 10k like the Makita though.

I believe Stepcraft USA sells one model - MM 1000 DI

3 Likes

Good to know! Thanks Tom! :sunglasses:

So this is for you:
17 mm from center to back, but at 84mm length, they also have one with 47mm length.
I don’t have the exact dimensions on the bottom plate but my guess would be 1-2 mm deeper then the 80mm mount, as I have illustrated here in green. If someone upload a dfx of the bottom plate I will draw it up.

The router is taken from Sorotec website and should be a very nice router 4000-25000 rpm also with 0-10V pwm:

And just to be clear, I have nothing to do with any of the companies, or any other company for thats sake as I’m retired, haha.

Enjoy

2 Likes

I so enjoy these creative solutions - nice find! It is cutting it close but ~1ish mm clearance is still a clearance (need to keep that area a no chip zone!).

I like the 84 mm version, but it will limit Z travel, as it is very close to my double 80 mm mount experiment. The shorter version is close to the width of a single 80 mm mount.

1 Like

Hey Tom, hey Bill @Machinist,

nice digital interface. Unfortunately you seem to pay more for it in the US than here in the origin country (MM-1000 DI).

Unlike one might think, it has no ER collet, it’s this proprietary collet. The Mafell FM 1000 PV ER has a true ER 16 collet, but its speed control interface is analog voltage (see manual for the interface specs). But with a pwm to voltage converter (easily available) you can control it with the Onefinity Controller since it allows control of PWM spindle.

2 Likes

Hey Tom,

I can’t follow right now, which ~1 mm do you mean, where do you locate it? And why no chip zone?

Hey Tom,

Unfortunately, as can be seen technical drawing, the area where there are really balls is much shorter than the outer 84 mm length of the surrounding block.

The dimension (S) alone is 3.8 mm.

I would better take two linear bearings instead of one, and each at the very end of the block. It is the length between the two outermost balls on which the stability depends. And I think many people in many applications don’t use entire Z travel, so I see no fundamental obstacle in the fact that it shortens Z travel a little bit. People who make signs and coasters would get by with 1/16 of the Z travel :slight_smile:

And Terje @Temo how thick is the plate? If it is aluminum, wouldn’t it bend when applying high load? I think if you could mill something from solid, you wouldn’t use a plate but extend the rear curvature of the 80 mm mount downwards and then still extend it forward like a triangle on each side, to make it as rigid as possible. But I understand that the point here is to be able to make it with simple DIY means.

Distance H - h (centre of 16 mm rod to outer edge) for the compact Misumi blocks is 17 mm.
On my 1F mount, I measured the distance from the centre of the 16 mm rod to the Z assembly back plate to be ~ 18 ish mm. See 'blue ‘A’ in my attached sketch. The ` 1 mm ish gap is shown between the red lines.

Hey Tom,

how much clearance is it on original mount?

Do you consider 1 mm as too tight?

Current clearance I estimate to be ~ 2 ish mm. I am only doing a quick measure with manual calipers.
I don’t think it is necessarily too tight, just not a lot of room for error (or a big breakaway chip) :grinning:

1 Like

Bill,

I have bought Kress (and now AMB) spindles from Midwest Circuit Technology. Very knowlegeable and good guys to deal with:
Link Here

1 Like

Hi @frankc, and welcome to the forum!
Thank you for the link, it’s good to know they can be had stateside. Couple things holding me back from jumping into one of these. The RPM range is one. I see they have an 800 FME model which runs on the requisite 110v I would need, but the lowest RPM is still the 10k range, same as my Makita. The other is lack of meaningful quantity of work from Xometry. It seems that more time passes between jobs that I’m capable of doing on the Onefinity. And I’ll be honest, I have a draft copy sitting and waiting for me to pull the trigger to post it up for sale. I have a smaller machine to satisfy my hobby playing requirements. We currently have our house up for sale, and it’s likely that I may end up with a smaller workshop area.

Hey Bill,

the 230 V Version of the Stepcraft MM-1000-DI has a 4,000–25,000 rpm range. In fact I don’t know why the US 120 V version is only specified with 10,000 – 25,000 rpm. I don’t know why you want a 120 V version because in the US usually you have split-phase electricity which means 120 V between one hot and neutral, and 240 V between two hots of different phases. The Stepcraft has a nice digital speed control interface.

Also the Mafell FM 1000 PV-WS (with quick tool changer) and FM 1000 PV ER (with ER collet) are rated 4,000–25,000 rpm. They have an analog speed control port that you could control via a PWM converter by the Onefinity controller. You could control the rotational speed using G-code commands from the g-code program like you would do with a spindle.

3 Likes

Hey @Aiph5u, it’s because my shop is only wired with a single 110v, 20a circuit. It would not be easy or practical to run 220 to it. Plus, our home is for sale, so there’s no future in it. Hence, my teetering on listing the machine for sale.

1 Like

Do you think I can connect Mafell FM 1000 PV ER directly to the Masso Controler on 1F Elite Foreman without additional hardware “PWM Converter”? Wondering if i can connect wires directly to the Masso controler. I want to use this spindle, but i completly don’t have practical knowledge about PWM controlling.