90mm Mount for Z-16 $12

I designed and built a prototype 90mm intended for my Bosch 1617 router but then decided to go with a 220V 2.2kw 80mm spindle. The prototype is made with PETG Carbon Fiber and I have the bearings if someone wants to try it, The bearings are Aopin LM16UU Cylinder Linear Motion Ball Bearing ordered from https://a.co/d/1GKsSGr.

Asking for pay for shipping and the bearings.

The design is also available if you need to tweak it or create a drawing for machining which is what I was going to do after the prototype was satisfactory.

I would not try using the prototype mount for actual use.

Hi,
I’m very interested in buying this to try with my Bosch 1617 router. I understand the risk that it is a prototype, but why are you not recommending it for actual use? I’ll buy the bearings you have to go with it and pay for shipping.

Thanks,
Mike

Simply because it is not aluminum and will not have the same strength. You might get away with some light carving but the whole purpose of going to the 1617 was for the increased power it can provide. My plan was to take the prototype and drawing to a local machine shop and have one milled. I do plan on making a 100mm mount later on so I can move to a 4hp spindle.

If you want it, send me your address so I can figure the shipping cost. It probably can fit in a medium flat rate box.

1 Like

Hey Mike @MikeFinity,

it’s not only the risk that it tears, it’s also the stability during use (runout, chatter) that cannot compare. Milling motor mounts are definitely not made of PETG, even when reinforced with carbon fibers, and there are good reasons for that.

If also doubt that a Bosch 1617 router is suitable for a CNC. If you want to switch to using a CNC router, I would not save on the milling motor of all things. The reason that hobbyist cnc machine manfacturers offer machines for use with a hand router at all is that you already have one and so they don’t have to include the milling motor into the price :frowning: But if you design a good CNC machine, even for hobbyists, I would use either a real induction motor like used in the industry (also called “spindle”) or better what I would say is best milling motor solution for hobbyists and semiprofessionals. That’s what is used in cnc routers in Europe (example motor in action, rebranded Mafell milling motor). Unfortunately the feature request for such a motor mount has not led to anything yet, even if there is a choice of reliable motors of this type made specifically for cnc machines available.

Also if I would replace the Onefinity’s stock Z assembly, I would never copy the strange Onefinity Z assembly design but mount a universal Z axis assembly, which allows

1. to protrude beyond lower end of Z assembly which elimininates “my bit cannot reach my wasteboard” issue, and

2. can take your individual specific motor mount because it has a flat surface with holes. Milling motor mounts are usually offered with the milling motor!

Welcome to the forum!

PS: You’re not mad at me Dave @tgunr tgunr, are you? I’ve also found that if you buy a 3D printer, at some point you can’t avoid contributing to plastic waste. It’s inevitable.

LOL, not all, I agree with everything you said. In fact, I went to a 220v 2.2kw 80mm spindle for some of those reasons. I want to make clear, the PETG carbon fiber prototype was intended for fitting purposes and for use as a model of a milled aluminum mount.

I’m curious why you think the 1617 would not be suitable as it appears to be as good or better than the Makita?

While we are on the subject what are your thoughts on using the 1F with a 100mm mount for a 3HP spindle? I was thinking maybe later next year on designing one.

My model is at https://cad.onshape.com/documents/901516e945174e7367e5e4c1/w/cad183740b3393075f903e8f/e/1c3742b88c9197d706c066da

1 Like

Hey Dave,

If you take into account what can be said about replacing the motor mount on Onefinity (see below), where I would say, I would not replace the mount, but the entire Z assembly by a universal assembly like found on “normal” CNC machines, see here the difference in operation, you could mount other spindles, especially stronger ones. A 6.6 kW HSD spindle on a Hitachi WJ200 VFD can rough with a 8 mm roughing bit in black locust, one of the hardest woods in Northern America, 1/2" deep at 110 ipm like going trough butter.

The question is, will the Onefinity still cope with your needs. Also it is the question whether you want to mill exclusively wood, or metal like aluminium, which makes things very different.

In any case, my next cnc machine will be one that I build myself and it will widely be built with parts like this one (see here for Z assembly).

The reason is I want to have high speed motion on the axes by using servo motors and I want to have precision in assembly that I did control myself. To be clear: The design of the Onefinity, which means, rails made of chrome-plated, hardened steel hollow shafts simply held in aluminium extrusion profile feet makes observing precision during assembly largely superfluous. It is a very smart design seen from assembly. But it has its limitations. The cylindric linear bearings are very different from the bearings usually used in CNCs. See the video linked above where usual HIWIN linear bearings are shown in detail.

is it better than the Makita? Why that?

I say that only because I don’t think that hand routers are good for the use in CNCs at all, and this one requires a custom mount. They are made for short-duration, hand-held use and usually have already lost their warranty as soon as you installed them into a CNC machine (Makita confirmed that). Also they have only disadvantages (except that they need no VFD) and can burn your workshop down if overloaded (that cannot happen with a spindle on a VFD because the VFD will always stop the spindle before). Besides that, Bill said the Makita is the best of the hand trim routers (I know Makita as a high quality brand, while as a German, I don’t have that good opinion of Bosch power tools. Bosch is not a brand for professional tools, but a brand of hardware store tools (my last bosch router melted. I bought Bosch tools only twice in my life and both melted, while I still service my reliable Metabo drills and routers from the 1970 and 1980s. Makita was always considered as the Metabo-equivalent from Japan.). At least Bill said the Makita is better than the DeWalt with 68 mm. But finally, if you have to choose between one that fits the stock machine and one that requires a custom mount, the latter sounds like prohibitive to me.

| Aiph5u User
October 27 |

• | - |

Hey Dave,

tgunr:

While we are on the subject what are your thoughts on using the 1F with a 100mm mount for a 3HP spindle? I was thinking maybe later next year on designing one.

If you take into account what can be said about replacing the motor mount on Onefinity (see below), where I would say, I would not replace the mount, but the entire Z assembly by a universal assembly like found on “normal” CNC machines, see here the difference in operation, you could mount other spindles, especially stronger ones. A 6.6 kW HSD spindle on a Hitachi WJ200 VFD can rough with a 8 mm roughing bit in black locust, one of the hardest woods in Northern America, 1/2" deep at 110 ipm like going trough butter.

That would be sweet! Will have to wait for that for a while and live with my 2.2kW which is already way better than the previous 1.5kW.

Aiph5u:

Also if I would replace the Onefinity’s stock Z assembly, I would never copy the strange Onefinity Z assembly design but mount a universal Z axis assembly, which allows

1. to protrude beyond lower end of Z assembly which elimininates “my bit cannot reach my wasteboard” issue, and

2. can take your individual specific motor mount because it has a flat surface with holes. Milling motor mounts are usually offered with the milling motor!

The question is, will the Onefinity still cope with your needs. Also it is the question whether you want to mill exclusively wood, or metal like aluminium, which makes things very different.

No plans for metal (yet).

In any case, my next cnc machine will be one that I build myself and it will widely be built with parts like this one (see here for Z assembly).

O like that idea, keep us posted.

The reason is I want to have high speed motion on the axes by using servo motors and I want to have precision in assembly that I did control myself. To be clear: The design of the Onefinity, which means, rails made of chrome-plated, hardened steel hollow shafts simply held in aluminium extrusion profile feet makes observing precision during assembly largely superfluous. It is a very smart design seen from assembly. But it has its limitations. The cylindric linear bearings are very different from the bearings usually used in CNCs. See the video linked above where usual HIWIN linear bearings are shown in detail.

I’ve been looking at replacing the steppers with servos. I have been satisfied with the steppers and have not had many missteps (yet). I put ferrite beads around every cable to mitigate any EMI. I also want to dump the Buildbotics controller, the user interface really sucks IMHO and as a former firmware engineer I would like to find something I can control to my liking. Been researching the use of GRBL or Gcode2 or some other open source as LinuxCNC or Mach3/4 and their use of parallel port seems to me to be going the way of the dodo bird.

Hey, you work on building the machine and I’ll work on building a controller! :slight_smile:

Hey Dave,

I already reserved web space for the project, but first I will post the building of my VFD control cabinet. That is the project for which I have all parts already here, and it shall drive a german spindle on the Onefinity Journeyman.

As I am able to build PCs, I build the controller too myself. Will also use LinuxCNC. But please, nobody shall think that the project will start tomorrow. I will have to move about 1,000,000,000 things into another place before being able to start to assemble quoi que ce soit :frowning:.