ELITE Upgrade Kit FAQ (Official Thread)

I decided to take a couple hours and source some stuff, see what was viable for me. Turns out 6-30R/P and extension cords are a bit harder to come by, but L14-30 is much more available (and benefit of locking plugs). I can simply ignore one of the 4 prongs and that’ll work for my needs. So here is what I came up with, I’ve removed the links to specific products on amazon, but the pricing is accurate as of what I could order today.

• Sub-Panel 2 Pole 30a Breaker - $30
  • Teck Cable (6awg, 65a rating I think? will replace 1 existing 6-20R with 14-30C, already have this wired to reuse with new socket)
  • NEMA L14-30C Receptacle - $44
  • L14-30P Receptacle + 10 foot 10awg L14-30 extension cable combo pack - $80
    • Use this cable from power source to cabinet leaving ends intact
  • 25 foot 10awg extension cord - $66
    • Cheapest way to get 10awg, it’s more expensive to get raw cable without the ends
    • Cut ends off and create one 10 foot segment from cabinet L14-30P Receptacle to switch
  • Enclosed 240v 30a switch - $60
    • Cut second 5 foot segment of 10awg cord from switch to VFD

Total: ~$280

I still have to find a source for some shielded 14/4 (lots of unshielded, but hard to source shielded), but from what I have found from expensive sources (digikey.ca) I’m estimating about $6 per foot, so expecting to pay about $90 for a 15 foot length, I will solder the connector myself I’m not shy of this work and I have a Hakko station for the extra heat required.

Anyone in Canada aware of a solid source for 14/4 shielded?

Edit: I was able to find one source for 30 feet of shielded 14/4 with extreme flexibility meant for automation, it’ll run me about $140, but overall that’s pretty reasonable price at $70 for the 15 feet I need. Guess I’ll just throw the remainder into the rats nest of extra stuff.

Also, here’s a few images of what I’m working with so far.

Hey Shane,

What you need is shielded “motor cable” 3+PE.

But if I had bought a cheap spindle with this flimsy “aviation” connector, which is no spindle motor connector, I would rather follow the tip I made here:

1 Like

I am in Toronto, and buy mostly Igus cable direct from their online site, or Lapp cable through Digikey. They both have shielded cable appropriate for VFD/spindle use.

I saw your EDIT - you would need to compare cost, and perhaps specs such as bend radius, cable chain continuous flex use, etc.

Hey Guys,
Can we move the spindle talk to a new thread to keep this thread about the elite upgrade kit?

1 Like

Off-topic started here

1 Like

Today is a Good Day!!! Got my Journeyman Elite Upgrade!!!

She arrived in pristine shape, the boxes were packaged extremely well and the new 48" X-Axis was even double boxed ensuring its safe arrival. Only thing I lost was a single screw on one of the Drag Chain supports, UPS banged up the end of that box and it got unthreaded from the Aluminum and fell out.

I was upset with UPS until I watched the video of the poor guy hauling this beast up to my front porch. I’ll just get another $.25 screw. 🙂

Thank you @OnefinityCNC for taking such meticulous care in packaging my new baby!

Now just need to take apart old faithful and send back the X-Axis, the old steppers, controller & screen with the included return label… Oh ya I get to build a new table too.

This time I think I’m going to go with a welded subframe with a wood exoskeleton.

Can’t wait to join the Elites once I’m able to power her up!

-Alex

2 Likes

Hey Alex,

you have an interesting floor. Is that poured PU?

Check whether you need replacement feet, it depends on how old your machine is. Old machines are missing the hole to reach the coupling screws. If you need to replace, contact 1F and they will send them through to you.

1 Like

Hello, Thank you for the comment, It is actually 3 colors of Metallic Epoxy that the Wife and I did when we built our house. That was a fun 4 days for sure. We also poured 5 color in the hose as well that came out even better.

Every time someone comes over the floors are a main attraction. It really is a great way to go, dust/sawdust sweep up effortlessly, wood glue drips fleck right off of it. We don’t even really put anything on the floor when we do laminations if we get 10 drops of glue on it you just take a putty knife and it flakes right off.

Here is how the house floor came out… totally different look but same process. It was one of the more challenging parts of the house build (stress wise) there is very little forgiveness time wise as the Epoxy working time is <30min and you have to get all the colors mixed and laid out before it starts to harden.

So glad we did it! Its had 5 years of use and it still looks amazing.

-Alex

2 Likes

Thanks Andy,

I will check this morning. I ordered my woodworker very early on (got it Dec 27th 2019), so I’m sure I will need the new feet. I’ll double check today and reach out to support.

Thanks again for the heads up before I took my WW apart and shipped the parts back.

-Alex

2 Likes

I love the @OnefinityCNC quality, not so much shipping times. Does @OnefinityCNC plan to or would consider having a payment option for an accelerated build delivery or 2. Foregoing the test cuts and practice runs and let me rely on my warranty since the quality is usually isnt an issue.

I just ordered the kit, while I did it primarily for the Masso controller, I am curious is the new stepper motors, particularly the Z-slider motor, are faster than the original closed loop motors. I do a lot of 3-d geographical reliefs, and the z-axis really slows things down.

For those interested, ordered IPP upgrade June 15th, shipped today July 23rd.

1 Like