Installing the Journeyman

I am a Journeyman user. I have been using Journeyman on MDF boards without any problems, but in order to increase precision, I replaced the MDF board with Bakelite. However, the Journeyman is not being installed in the correct position, causing numerical errors.

I just want to know the exact position where I can fasten the 16 bolts. Since I have a 4x8 CNC, if I know the exact position, I can drill holes at the accurate locations using the CNC and simply mount the Journeyman without any issues.

No matter how much I search, I cannot find the exact position. Even when I looked at the QCW manual, I could not find the exact position. Please let me know if you can help me.
Thank you.

Hey BHLEE,

you are right, the diagrams Onefinity provides are always incomplete. And by the way, exclusively in imperial units :frowning:

However you should be able to subtract a few numbers to get the locations with the links I collected in this post.

By the way, when mounting the Onefinity CNC to a table top, I always suggest not to use the wood screws that come with it, but bolts instead, or sleeves (e.g. brass) with bolts in it. Their diameter would need to be exactly 8 mm:

Thank Bill @Machinist for the diagram!

2 Likes

Thank you for your detailed explanation.
I think I need to draw a drawing with the information you gave me.
Why doesn’t 1F provide convenience to customers?
Have a nice day~

Dear Aiph5u,

I made a drawing with the information you gave me.
I haven’t checked for accuracy yet.
Thanks once again.

BHLee

@Aiph5u

I feel like I didn’t have my best foot forward when I created that original cross-section drawing, having neglected the metric dimensions. So I’ve attached an updated foot hole pattern drawing for you, since you do such a great job of keeping track of such things. That said, I hope you will find the attached PDF more useful.

RAIL END - 35mm.pdf (96.0 KB)

1 Like

Hey Bill,

thank you so much!

I must confess that when searching for the bookmark, in the hurry I have only found the older drawing that you made in Jul 2021 (to which I added the metric values), but you made a more recent on May 2022 (one year ago) :slight_smile:

So please forgive me if I caused you additional work!

1 Like

@Aiph5u

Oh, I forgot about that one! I didn’t save the drawing, so totally forgot I had created one with metric dim’s. Same time next year? :smirk:

2 Likes

Hey Bill,

:slight_smile:

This happens to me too. Sometimes I write postings that are like one a year ago :).

3 Likes

This is such sound advice. I don’t think many people consider the sheer mass of the gantry as it moves along the Y axis and quickly changes direction, as would happen potentially thousands of times during a long program run. 8mm or 5/16" lag screws into a nice thick table top would be great, but in my opinion, nuts/bolts with sleeves would be better. On my machinist, I put 2x 5mm dowel pins between the screw holes (front set of blocks only) to engage the 5mm slots in the extrusion I was using for a base. That made it much easier to disassemble & reassemble the machine while minimizing realignment work.

3 Likes