Most difficult 3D carve to date

I am in the middle of the finishing pass on this carve.
It is called Two bears from Etsy (I’ll post pics if I can)

I have a few questions about this process and hopping to get some feedback.
This carve is on 1.75 inch cherry blank.
Do most users use a dust boot on thick carves?
I am but it doesn’t go low enough and the roughing pass made a bit of a mess.
Is it better to use a flat end mill or ballnose for roughing (I used a 1/4 ballnose, but it is getting dull and left burn marks at every direction change, and a lot of fuzzies.)
Also my monitor is mounted on the same table and it appears that the vibration causes the monitor to go blank (it always comes back but is annoying).
It is not convenient to mount it on the wall (hard to reach).
I am thinking of some kind of vibration damper, or putting the controller and monitor on a small stand next to my table.

Pictures to come
Thank you
Mike

My original post was done on my Android tablet and couldn’t figure out how to post pictures

twobears

Current progress

Hey Mike,

I would never mill wood without dust extraction, as the ball screws are not sealed with bellows covers on the Onefinity and oiled mechanics are not compatible with wood dust. I assume you use the Onefinity’s dust boot attachment arms, which is a system which does not go up and down with the spindle, but is adjusted to a fixed height prior to job run. I think you mean you can not fix it low enough. Have you thought of dust boots that attach to the spindle and that go up and down with it? Like the PwnCNC v7?

See also What is the best dust boot for the Onefinity.

For roughing I would use a roughing bit, as shown here and here.

A ball nose can be used for finishing, however you need time for finishing this way, but on hardwoods, you can get a nearly polished finish that needs no or very few sanding. See this video

This rather sounds like the frequently reported EMI-caused monitor intermittent issue. This is usually solved by getting ferrite cores, or it can be caused by spindle cables that are not shielded or a machine that is not properly grounded and bonded, or by using a VFD that is not mounted inside a control cabinet.

1 Like

hello and thanks for the reply

I do agree with you I always use dust collection I was wondering what other people do.
I looked at the PwnCNC v7 and as strictly a hobbyist that is a bit much to spend right now.
I have looked at the Sweepy V2 and if I do make a change from the “suckit” I would probably go with them.

I also looked at the roughing bit you mentioned, and again for me the cost is prohibitive.
Ill stick with either a 1/4 end mill or ball nose.
Again just asking what others use.

I need to do a bit more research on this and some testing.
For some reason I am still thinking it is a vibration issue.
I am going to isolate my monitor and controller away from my main table.
The biggest reason I think it is vibration, this only happens in some roughing passes.
it has not happened in my finishing pass.
I absolutely meaning no disrespect, and freely admit I am a complete novice in the CNC world.
Just trying to fined my way and learn as I go.

Thankyou for your comments and enjoy a few final pictures of this carve.

Mike

5 Likes

This is my first post, please go easy on me if this is way off base. I experienced the same thing when I first set up my Journeyman. What solved it for me was to plug my router in a different circuit that the controller and monitor were plugged into. It would only blank out when I had the router in a “heavy cut” operation. Hope this helps.