New Buildbotics controller or raspberry pi upgrade

Hey JFab,

the current Raspberry Pi 3B is already 64-bit capable, however Buildbotics and Onefinity run a 32-bit Raspbian of 2017 on it.

Onefinity said to work on a 2.0 firmware that will run on Raspberry Pi 3 and Raspberry Pi 4.

So, you could build a Onefinity Controller from the sources on a recent Raspberry Pi 4 board and use a recent Raspberry Pi OS SD card image as base. Such a recent Raspberry Pi OS SD card image also boots fine on the original Raspberry Pi 3B inside your Onefinity Controller (I tested that). So if you build the onefinity-firmware from the souces, as it would be a switch to a 64-bit operating system, you would already have a faster system, even without exchanging the Raspberry Pi.

By the way, I don’t think that you would be able to mill your toolpaths faster with a faster Raspberry Pi or a faster Raspberry Pi OS installed, as it is the bit, the spindle and the workpiece material that limits the speed of operation. If you want to mill projects faster, you would rather buy a more powerful spindle.

You did not really answer my question. I think the parsing step of the uploaded g-code could run faster with a faster hardware or faster operating system, but I don’t know if this really does matter to everyone.

1 Like