Onefinity CNC Firmware 1.2.1 (2/8/23) (X-35/X-50 machines w/ Buildbotics Controller) (Outdated)

Hey Brian,

usually HTML pages should be designed to accomodate any screen width and I tried to resize my (remote) web browser to see if this one does and it allowed zooming out, but in the other direction and as you also show here, if the native width of the monitor is smaller than a specific fixed size (or if you zoom in too much), it ceases to accomodate to width and you have to scroll horizontally, which is not ideal either.

Anyway your photo makes clear what advantage the portrait orientation gives here.

What is the native resolution of this monitor?

It looks like the native resolution is 1920 x 1080.
My touchscreen is actually an ELO Touch computer with Win10, and I am connecting through the web interface to my Onefinity. When I originally tried portrait mode I did not really think about just zooming out slightly. Just tried it out and it looks amazing in portrait mode with no scroll bars. Thanks for the idea!

1 Like

Hey Brian,

I think connecting using the UI with a remote computer has many advantages. I find it useful to see the CAMotics 3D toolpath simulation. Possibly it will become available on the Onefinity Controller display in the future when they switch to Raspberry Pi 4 and then they install the mesa driver package (for 3D graphics acceleration).

Another advantage is the easy way to make screenshots, usually by pressing the Print Screen key on many desktops.

1 Like

I have looked all over for problems after upgrade to 1.2.1 (Journeyman X-50) (2 days). I reflashed my SD card as stated on upgrade page, then got a failure code said that I needed to reformat disk. I waited for a long time. I did everything by the book, printed it out to be sure. Could not get x-50 journeyman to start back up at all. NOTHING. Tried to format and reflash SD again, Nothing. Went and Bought new SD, installed 1.2.1 and now maching at least starts up. Joystick plus sign on left side does not work,(bought with Onefinity) but all other buttons on joystick work and Wi-Fi seems screwed up shows it is connected but can not get to my files. I use laptop connected to onefinity controller (wi-fi) which is connected to router with eithernet cable. All use to work with 1.1.1 Can I reflash card with 1.0.9 and get back to haldway normal? I will post this under the other upgrad problem page since it seems to fit both places.

Hey Gary,

as for the joystick, I would first check

Yes, but only if your issues come from updating to 1.2.1. The version 1.0.9 is known as the last very stable version.

If it is about issues that come from updating to 1.2.1, please don’t! The correct place to report 1.2.1 firmware issuesis here ←.

As the Forum FAQ say:

Keep It Tidy

[…]

• Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
  • Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Don’t post no-content replies.
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
  • Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.

Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.

– Source: OnefinityCNC Forum FAQ

Hi @Mitch ,

If you are using external wifi adapter, UI won’t show the wifi name, however it is connected to wifi, you can verify by open tab in browser in CNC control screen and google it or go to network section under hamburger menu and see the wifi with your connection with light blue color

Thanks!

1 Like

I get pointed in two different directions. I am trying my damdest to put this in the right spot. This page which started out on how to upgrade your software, past present and future. which as I explained I printed out and did step by step and had nothing but problems ( look just a couple lines above) but this page turned into problems people were have once they upgraded. Yes the joystick is in the right mode while I think of it. There is also a page entitled “problems after upgrading to version 1.2.1” [Problems with 1.2.1 flash update - Machines (X35/X50) / Troubleshooting (X35/X50) - Onefinity CNC Forum] (Problems with 1.2.1 flash update) so now I do not know where to put this. Support said the right place to post it is here “with a link” that brings me right back here. No I a not being an ASS just curious and very confused. I am trying my best. Thanks

Hey Gary,

as you can read in that thread, the poster was pointed to post here for issues with 1.2.1 :slight_smile:

Hey Gary,

I think regarding firmware issues with version 1.2.1, you get pointed in only one direction, which is here. Usually when a new firmware is released and made available for download, users are encouraged to install it and report back if there are any problems with the new firmware version. For version 1.2.1, this is here.

On the other hand, flashing a SD card is another topic. The explanation on how to flash a SD card is here:

If you have problems with flashing a SD card, that does not rely to problems with firmware version 1.2.1 since an operating system disk image is just a file, and it is just written to a SD card. This procedure does in no way depend of which file it is or which Onefinity fimware version you install with it. However as I understand your problem is solved since you replaced the SD card and it worked, so you simply had a defective SD card. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

If I understand you right, your issues with 1.2.1 are:

1. Joystick plus sign on the left side does not work but after you were pointed to joystick howto, you confirmed you think you set the right mode on joystick,
  2. WiFi seems screwed up, shows it is connected but you can not get to your files
  3. Everything worked fine with 1.1.1

Your question if flashing back to 1.0.9 would get you back to halfway normal was already answered in a post above.

1 Like

Thanks for now. More Problems today. More on All that later.

Gary, I’m not a fan on how the devs are bouncing you around. I came across another user that had similar weird problems. What fixed it for him was the following.

Get a brand new SD card of the best quality available.

Format the card with Sdformatter

Download the full flash file of 1.2.1

Follow the instructions on flashing firmware.

Put the sd card back in and boot.

Select the x-50 (if that’s the one you have) config and let it do its thing then reboot.

No need to try to update firmware further at this point.

Try that. It has worked for others. It’s almost like fragments get left on the SD card during the reflash.

You can get SDFormatter here…

The SD cards I use are here

SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO®… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09X7BYSFG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Hope that helps.

1 Like

I wish I would have waited and got the elite with the Masso controller. The standard BB controller is really leaving me with buyers remorse.

No one at Onefinity (dev) has talked to or commented on Gary’s posts?

1 Like

Hey Troy,

Gary wrote above that he already bought a new SD card, flashed it and it worked.

I would be patient, either by waiting for the Elite upgrade, or by waiting for the further development of the Onefinity Controller software. Onefinity took the available free and open-source project buildbotics.com and made a hardware and software fork of it to offer a CNC machine with stand-alone CNC controller for the best price possible, with a concept of linear rails that is unique on CNC routers. Also they saved on many things (you build your table yourself, no drag chain, no limit sensors, etc.). That ensures low entry price for the consumer.

The Buildbotics Controller is an admirable project for something written by a single person within a short time, but does not reach professional CNC controllers (yet) regarding some functions.

The Onefinity Controller is a good choice if you consider its low price. It is really a CNC controller that can do what you usually want to do. It’s hard to find something that does that for the price.

2 Likes

That’s not what I’m saying. He should have to get frustrated being told not to post his problem somewhere just to be told the same thing at the location he was sent to.

Many of us are getting frustrated out here with thousands of dollars tied up into a machine that doesn’t work right, and is costing us lots of money in destroyed materials and time.

again, no one from Onefinity has replied to him anywhere.

2 Likes

Do I think the BB team has done a great job developing their software. Yes.

Does this change the frustration level from the buggy nature of 1Fs fork? No

I have lost hundreds of dollars of material due to these bugs not to mention my time.

A commendable effort doesn’t mean a quality product.

sorry if the truth hurts, but hiding from the truth by claiming there’s no issues or deleting posts you don’t agree with, or demanding video to prove it happened is is just infuriating at what most of us have invested.

1 Like

Hey Troy,

I can not see that this has happened anywhere. No one told him to post 1.2.1 issues anywhere else than here. You are not really reading the things.

The only thing I said to Gary above was to please don’t cross-post the same thing over multiple threads. Also the posting to which he thought he had to post to was another cross-post from another cross-poster (with misleading title) that should not be further fed.

But I think it is important to understand more that inexperienced people are insecure and you have to take them by the hand in a friendly way.

By the way, I am an ordinary user (trust-level “Regular” as of this writing).

1 Like

I ran thousands of jobs on the 1.0.9 firmware very successfully, I would suggest using it until the newer versions are tested and debugged instead of being frustrated and ruining materials.

That being said, the OF BB controller is a very easy to use interface but is the weak link in an otherwise very solid machine. I migrated to an aftermarket controller last year myself to overcome it and am very happy with the results.

I am just an ordinary user, not affiliated with Onefinity :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. It was your post that had lead me to go buy a new SD card and start again a day or two ago.Does it matter the speed of the SD card. I know the one that cameout that somehow got screwed up was a HC so I made sure I got HC cards but did not know if speed 100mb/sec vs 130mb/sec made any difference. I will look into the link you left for where you get yours. My Wi-Fi is a;; messed up now. Never could connect with the controller so I just used a laptop to connect to the controller and I could go where I wanted. Of course nowmy laptop will not connect properly but works perfectly when the CNCcontroller is not involved. I have some work to do.NO I do not expect you to look into that right now. Give me some time.THANK YOU for your response and helping me out without knowing it,