Post up them projects

I had to look up that word! :slight_smile: This is actually very abundant in Black Walnut that I buy direct from the hardwood mill in my area. It’s much, much different than lumber you get from woodworking stores, etc. The more figured stuff is pulled out and the plain stuff is sent to the stores because it’s much more consistent in tone and grain.

Some of it is so marbled that it the surface looks three dimensional. The piece I made that counter-top from is actually pretty mellow in comparison. It’s harder to work with and takes a bit more time, but it’s incredibly beautiful.

Another non-traditional use of my OneFinity that worked out beautifully!

The Wife and I built an outdoor kitchen over the past few months, and when it came time to pour the Concrete countertop I had to figure out how I was going to incorporate my sink hole.

Enter Stage Left… OneFinity… I took all the measurements from the sink and whipped up a quick sketch in Affinity Designer and then tossed it into Easel to create the GCode. Using some 1/2" Foam board from Lowes and good old DucTape and about 2min of carve time I had my perfect sink negative form created.

Think the results speak for themselves… on your next project or problem don’t forget the OneFinity when you look at your tools to solve a roadblock. :slight_smile:

-Alex

14 Likes

Thanks Bill. I have a couple more weeks of carpentry to finish the cabinet carcasses and put the T&G cedar faces on everything. I’m definitely a woodworker and not a carpenter so this stuff moves really slow for me but once it’s presentable I’ll post another photo of the countertop installed in the van. :slight_smile:

So rad. Finished crete-top looks so perfect. Nice work, Alex!

1 Like

That’s going on the list of things to check out. That’s some cool stuff. JDog how long have you been doing this? You have some unique pieces you’ve posted. You’ve got some mad skills!

2 Likes

Really Sweet use of your 1F!

1 Like

Ok… I have one for you guys… a rush order that came in today… has to be delivered tomorrow…!!!
Talk about drop everything and just do it!

7 Likes

Yeah, 24hrs is a crazy rush, how were you able to get the finish to dry in time? Walnut and maple? Looks great. I hope you charged a healthy extra for the rush!

Hey Ryan…
Thanks for the kind words, I’m glad you like it!
I normally don’t do fast turn arounds like this, they are way too stressful and mistakes happen. (and sure enough a mistake happened)…
But this was for a 50 anniversary gift… and it was manic panic time for this customer… so what are you going to do?
Good thing I had the blanc premade, so it was more of a design nightmare with someone making stuff up on the fly and breathing over my shoulder. As soon as it was finished, into the bucket of mineral oil it went.
But I also had to make 2 coasters this morning… and sure enough, one of the clamps were loose… oh shit!
It’s a good idea to always have spare “everything” ready to go! Ha ha!
Oh, and yes, there was a hefty premium on this, but when I found out money was no object, I should have charged more! (Just kidding…)
:sunglasses:

8 Likes

P.S. Ryan
Your counter top look amazing!

Well things are coming together and looking great! All made with my 1F machinist :+1:. Cant wait for the Journeyman to arrive :smile:

4 Likes

What is it? I’m not familiar with Do-Yu…

Very cool. Not 100% sure what it is, but I have some ideas. Very nice presentation and photos.

Are you the person launching this, part of a team or just doing the prototyping/manufacturing?

https://www.do-yu.com/

1 Like

Thanks! Yes my wife and I are the owners of the company. Just us for now but have plans for growth in the future. For all of the wood sections I envisions an army of 1F machines running these off. For now I am milling the aluminum with my Machinist model as well but will need to invest in a proper VMC (Haas most likely) when demand increases sufficiently. I do everything from concept through to manufacture. I am thinking about starting a second business doing just that too. Prototyping etc

2 Likes

Carveco Maker coming in clutch again for this 3d Relief

90 day Carveco Free Trial here:

• Yeah the 1F Post processor is pre-installed and it lets you save the gcode and carve during the trial!
5 Likes

Great projects! Really inspiring thread! I am empowered, thank you!

I’ve been using Fusion360 to parametrically carve elliptical bowls based on available scrap sizes, but I took this one a bit further to spice up the design a bit. Now to figure out how to make it parametric…

Carved from eastern red cedar with a tooled vegetable tanned leather inlay. The machine settings need a little tweaking to eliminate the stair stepping around the leather insert and I had to sand 1/8" off the top lip of the bowl to eliminate some chip-out that occurred when I machined the back side. But otherwise, I’m pretty happy with how it came out.

I cobbled together a YouTube video, but I’m not done editing it yet. I’ll share it here if anyone’s interested once I upload it.

22 Likes

That’s really nice! Look forward to your video…

1 Like

Well, here it is. I’m sure I got some of the lingo wrong, but my typical audience is all leatherworkers and holster makers. Hoping this video does well on my channel, because I’m really tired of making holsters…

14 Likes

I’ll trade you some leatherwork for some fusion 360 assistance lol