Post up them projects

I pour a coat of white epoxy first and thats what I carve. On this one it was blue and white. Then I flood fill with black epoxy and sanded back or surface to the first level. I made mistakes on both of the ones I have done so I am still working out the best way to get to back to the image but I think I know what to change to make the next one work better. The clarity of the image has to do with the depth of cut and the amount of stepover. Then getting the contrast right has to do with just getting back to the high parts of the v carve. This whole project has been a giant learning curve, but I am getting close to perfecting a method I think.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ll try that one of these days.

Here’s my first project. I had a family friend/acquaintance post asking if anyone could make something similar a camp sign she had seen, so I figured why not jump in and put my new toy to work?

I didn’t have any stencil vinyl or anything so the painting was a little annoying, but I’m really happy with how it turned out.

Just a simple V-Carve I designed in Carveco, but I’m looking forward to see what else I can come up with.

7 Likes

I’ve been using the OF since January, I guess I should post up a project or two.

My first project was a wedding ring and a box to hold it.

I also made a new handle for an old kitchen knife.

There were a few test cuts before the final was made.

And of course I had to make an end grain serving board

11 Likes

Very nice and clean Eric. Turned out great, nice work!

I made these napkin rings for our family party tomorrow. Everyone gets to take one home.

9 Likes

Nothing crazy but came out great and better yet sounds amazing.

We got a new (used) boat a few weeks ago and the sound system was 11 years old and in desprate need of a 2021 refresh.

Made a quick 10" Subwoofer enclosure out of 3/4 MDF then sprayed it with bedliner material to make it waterproof. Installed a 10" MB Quart Marine Sub and had to engrave the boat name into the Sub… come on that’s why we have OF’s.

Needless to say cutting the 9.02" hole for the sub was 2 passes and perfectly accurate then carving out the “POST TIME” name took a few min more. I ended up using white sparkle epoxy to fill the letters giving it an amazing finished look.

Happy 4th Everyone!!

-Alex

9 Likes

Albert Einstein Photo V Carve. This is an epoxy carve using 60deg v-bit. This one is better than my last attempt at this.

10 Likes

First project on my Onefinity. Wallet and key tray made out of walnut.

16 Likes

Jason, did you create the earring images?

Yes i used inkscape and made a heart then put text on path and added a union to make the design. Others have made something similar.

1 Like

Great, I’m also a 1F newbie. I need to find myself a good timber merchant.

I’ve found that with all the trays I’ve made that I need more tables😄.

This is my favorite thread on this forum. I love coming in here once a week or so and checking out the new things people are up to. :slight_smile:

I know this is super basic, but maybe it will help someone think outside the box a bit. I used my 1F to cut the undermount sink hole in a countertop I’m making for a van conversion. I could have set up a jig and done this with the router by hand, but using the 1F was way faster and easier to get the dimensions perfect.

20 Likes

Super basic??? This is beautiful! Is this made from mahogany or similar?

Jim

Ah thanks! I specifically meant the CNC work was basic. Yeah, the counter was not quite so straight-forward. It’s Oregon Black Walnut. Finished with waterlox. My part time job is walnut cutting boards and kitchen tools, so the counter-top wasn’t too much of a deviation, just a lot larger. Setting the glue-up was a thinker for sure. :slight_smile: .

1 Like

PLEASE post pics of the installation when it’s done, Ryan! Would love to see it! Nice work! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Love that 45 degree line screen look! I gotta ask, what’s an epoxy carve? I’ve been wanting to do some wood/epoxy stuff and wondering how you engineered it? That’s really a slick looking piece!

I had no idea walnut (black or otherwise) could show such chatoyancy. Just beautiful.

I learned a new word:
One cause of chatoyance, or cat’s eye effect, is the tree being under stress as it grows, causing the grain to curl back on itself . This results in an effect that basically looks like waves within the wood. This is an amazing and beautiful 3D look that changes as you look at the wood from different angles.

3 Likes

An epoxy carve is pouring a layer of epoxy on a board. Then vcarve the photo into that epoxy layer. Afterwards pour a black layer of epoxy over this to fill the grooves and low spots. Lastly surface the piece back to the vcarve layer and sand down to the features in the vcarve.