Post up them projects

First project with new OF… Super happy with the way it turned out…

5 Likes

Hey Bill, what do you mean by finish cuts?

@Watkins, Simply means leaving a small amount of material for a final cut (.005" in this case) to ensure good finish & size accuracy. Here’s a screenshot from within Estlcam (different part) showing that I specified a .005" finish pass. The normal roughing pass only takes .030 depth of cut, and the finish pass will cut full depth of the part (.090" aluminum).

1 Like

Wow. Just wow. What a dream commission.

One week with the machine. Super impressed. 22 toolpaths, 3 bits. Endless lessons learnt. I should have a finished, painted picture by week-end.

9 Likes

Happy 4th of July everyone

2 Likes

looks great. Can I ask your process for getting a nice finish on MDO?

They are made of bass wood. I sealed them with a coat of shellac then brushed on 2 more coats of shellac that was tinted with transtint concentrated dye. The white, which you can’t really see, was white paint that I wiped off to give it a white wash look.

1 Like

18 Likes

After a couple months learning about CNC and learning Carveco Maker+ I put together this Cribbage board. It’s all custom designed. I’ve hidden the person’s name with the ruler but the D shape is personalized.

Both pieces are black cherry with a clear poly. The base is around 14x9". Centre is recessed to hold the lid and as you can see there are places for the deck of cards and the pegs.

The lid overlays the base recess (there is a rabbet under the edge that I did on a router table rather than attempt a double sided CNC cut just yet). The cards are ‘stacked’ which necessitated many toolpaths as they were all different depths of cut. All that you see was cut on the CNC. I think it was 19 toolpaths and 4 bits (1/4", 1/16", 30ºV, 1/8" round-over). Each card required 4 toolpaths except the lower 5 of spades that was grouped with the Jack.

A lot of firsts for me here and it was a challenging project but I very much enjoyed doing it. Now I need to figure out another project to work on.

7 Likes

I haven’t gotten the mirror yet but all the pieces were made on the 1F before assembly.

This was just a test run. The next one will have flowers carved into the top part of the oval.

17 Likes

That is sweet. Better not let my wife see this or I know what my next project will be.

First project using the prism lettering toolpath. Only the names are prism, the rest just a profile cut.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Here is a compilation of my first 2 weeks projects, with the machine. Minimal (and I mean minimal) CNC experience before this.

8 Likes

Haha. My father actually designed that patch. I’m pretty sure he did the Wolfpack livery(?) too. He also made the Black Knights designs too. I remember growing up as a kid and seeing the progression of these designs from start to finish. I would find them all over the house. Then, when he came home from Desert Storm, every family member in the squadron waiting for the ship to dock was wearing a red shirt with my father’s design on it! That was an awesome feeling. Now I see his designs in movies too. Well, thank you for your service.

1 Like

I made a pizza peel for a buddy of mine who recently started a food truck.

There was ~6 months between cutting the taper on the business end and actually setting it up on the Onefinity again to engrave it so the setup was a bit more complicated than it otherwise might have been, but it all worked out beautifully.

3 Likes

Awesome! I’m inspired!

1 Like

Your father was in the Navy? I am glad seeing that brought back good memories. Just as a little history I made two deployments in VF-1. We did the Desert Shield deployment and the Desert Storm deployment off the USS Ranger (CV-61). It was a good squadron and I really enjoyed my time there and think back about what a great Aircraft the F-14 was. I was part of the crew that decommissioned VF-1 and that little plaque now hangs above a decommissiong certificate we got when the squadron was finally disbanded.

I am guessing from your name you are or were military? If so thank you for your service.

Here is another one that I made for an old buddy.

2 Likes