Post up them projects

Making this Breyer Horse barn for a good friend’s daughter. This is the prototype. Final will be in Russian Birch plywood. Has cupola, spindles between stalls, and sliding barn doors for each stall. All mortise and tenon, with exterior carving on each piece for character. 15 pieces in the assembly which cuts from one 4x8x .75 sheet. It’s about 18 inches high with a 30 x 24 ground footprint.

9 Likes

Preston, what are the dimensions of that cribbage board? And do you recall the source of the design?

Thanks

Looks superb.

But be ready to be very calm when it coloured in with felt pen and a friend uses it as a seat.

possibly if there was enough interest and if I was able to figure out screen recording :sweat_smile:

13" x 7.4" I made it for a friend of mine so I found an image, imported it in SketchUp, and copied the hole pattern. After that, I exported it as a dxf and put it in vcarve. The rest of it was designed by what I thought looked good. I have a different file of a hockey rink with the stands that are raised that I might put on Etsy.

2 Likes

Haha. Such is life. It’s likely be one of my kids to use it as a seat.

A quick summary of what I do includes

1. Getting a screenshot of a depth map. I get mine from Navionics
  2. Import that image into a software where you can freehand the contours of the depths. I use SketchUp and I have access to the pro version which is important for the next step.
  3. Exporting those lines as a dxf
  4. Import that dxf to vcarve
  5. Make sure all vectors are closed
  6. Then scale, smooth, and do toolpaths
2 Likes

None that I’ve found unfortunately

Thanks. Are there 8 holes on the “court?” If yes, what do you consider their purpose to be?

1 Like

Nesting storage crates. Needed various sizes of boxes to contain our mason jars, so made these from regular birch ply and oak dowels to fit the different jar heights exactly by a parameterized design.

19 Likes

Nope, no holes on the rink. Just tried to match a regulation rink.

First real 3D carve ( one other practice piece)
Quite a learning experience.
This is 12x9x1.5 teak.
Finished with beeswax and mineral oil.
I think it turned out pretty good.

Mike

19 Likes

Looks great. Nice burnished look to it.

Finished closet bench and Charcuterie board almost ready for finish

10 Likes

this is crazy i was thinking about doing something just like this just from walking passed the tv and seeing vikings then thinking about the celts in a train of thought. now im seeing something similar to what I just imagined in my head (was even black epoxy 2) . eerie. nice work.

2 Likes

These are great. What software do you use to translate the data into usable files?

Here is a brief summary of what I do to get these. I use Navionics by Garmin (free version), SketchUp pro (free access through work), and Vcarve Pro.

I made these salt and pepper shakers for our dinner table. They are approximately 1.75" square and 2" tall. The “Thanksgiving 2022” is on the opposite side of both . Cherry with maple turkey. The turkey is not flush with the surface on purpose

7 Likes

I just got my 1F fully functional today after a few days of setup and frustration! This was one of my first jobs and just a test run so nothing super special but it came out perfect and will be very functional for me. I’m big on organization. This is an insert for my tool box to organize all of the router and CNC bits I have.
I purchased the laser add-on for Vectric and it worked very nicely. I loved being able to just add another toolpath and not having to worry if if I converted everything over to Lightburn correctly. Lightburn is still very useful for laser only projects but for a combined project, VCarve Pro with Laser add-on can’t be beat. Morgan’s Spoilboard design came out pretty nicely as well but holy cow does MDF make a lot of dust.

2 Likes

Gosh! How long does this take? Bet it’s right up there. Stunning!

1 Like