Spoilboard flattening (solved)

Hey Tom,

To improve the effect, you could put ferrite cores one at each end of the HDMI cable.

If you use a router, EMI comes from the carbon-brush commutators which cannot be shielded because the router is air-cooled. If monitor intermittent issue persists, I would mount the control display at a greater distance from where the router drives by.

1 Like

Hey Tom,

Why do you reoriented the bit to the LH corner? Did the program run through successfully now??

We did install ferrite cores on both ends of the HDMI cable and both the controller inlet AC as well as the USB-C power for the screen. No change. The router is plugged in separately.(not to a power strip). BTW - the screen cycles on/off even when the router is not turned on - just the controller.

I reoriented it to the lower LH corner just to see if it would produce an error message. That position is slightly in and to the right of the home position.

Tom

But the program ran through once without error?

2 Likes

Thanks, iā€™ll see whatā€™s out there about the screen.

Tom

Yes, no errors. I only redid x & y after I ran the file out of curiosity. As mentioned, the spoilboard is slightly inboard and to the right of the homed position, so not sure why it threw errors. It doesnā€™t on mine.

Are you taking that off a USB power block & not the controller? The controllerā€™s USB ports donā€™t deliver enough power to drive the screen on a sustained basis. Power for the screen must be from a wall wart.

Ferrite cores are installed on both ends of each power cable as indicated above in the thread.The Makita router is on a separate 20amp circuit. Screen is powered on prior to controllerā€¦ still intermittently dropping off then returning in about 5 seconds.

Jim - thanks for your note and comments. Weā€™ve got them all covered, and no parallel power cables with any other cables. We are going to try an external screen and see if that is affected too.

Tom

Hey Tom,

[monitor is intermittent] have you checked that the Touch monitor is connected with all three(!) cables? 1. The HDMI cable, 2. the USB cable for the touch function, 3. AND the third cable for the monitorā€™s external power supply that is plugged in in a wall outlet?

There is an image on how to connect these three cables in the Onefinity Manual on page 38/39.

The in-detail explanation why you need three cables is here.

Besides that, ā€¦

Yes, theyā€™re all connected properly.

Theyā€™ve been plugged in and removed and tested for pin continuity and loose fitting connectors. Iā€™m going to set up another monitor just to see if that validates the problem. Weā€™ll see.

Thanks,

Tom

The issue is that everything was working fine for about 3 months, then started cycling on/off. No notable changes in configuration during that time that would be considerations for this problem. I intentionally setup my electrical circuits for the cnc separately. As such, I have two quad boxes on separate 20amp circuits, and two 15amp circuits. Router and dust collection on the two 20amp circuits, and the Buildbotics using itā€™s own 15amp circuit. The touch screen is on another 15amp circuit. All are isolated.

Iā€™m going to try new cables for the HDMI and USB-C powered to see if they are the culprits here.

Tom