What computer will run v carve pro

Please don’t beat me up too bad. I have ordered v carve pro and now need to purchase a laptop . I looked up hardware requirements and I found I don’t understand geek.or Greek. Not sure which it is. I am looking at dell computers around $450. Inspiron 15-5000 laptop.

Can someone tell me if this will manage the software or should I get something else if so please suggest
If I am way off base asking this just tell me.

IMO, those are relatively low-end specs. I’m not a huge fan of Dell, but they do build solid computers. That said, these would probably run V carve just fine, based on their listed requirements. But I would recommend finding something with at least an i5 processor if you can find something within the budget constraints.

I’m also not super computer hardware literate lately. Also worth mentioning, I don’t know that much about Windows 10 (S mode), but from the little bit I’ve read, it doesn’t sound like something I would want to mess with. I looked into this a couple months ago when we were looking for a new laptop for my wife, and we ran across this.

Ok bill what kind do you like all my existing are apple. I am concerned about your comment about the windows s. I will have to keep checking befor I pull the trigger.

I just got a new laptop as well. I really like Lenovo ThinkPad computers and was ready to get one of those, but then ultimately ended up with a Samsung that had better specs for the $$ than the Lenovo I was going to get. But that was up around the $8-900 price point.

One thing I can recommend is an off-lease Lenovo ThinkPad. I’ve purchased a few of these off ebay, and you can get them in near-new condition for well under your $450 price point. But you are still getting a ‘used’ computer, so there’s that.

Thank you Bill,
I am going to keep looking ki may have to move up my budget. I am just getting a little frustrated. My 2k cnc unit is quickly creeping towards 4K. Project scope creep you would think by now I would be ready for it.

There is a similar Dell laptop on the ‘Presidents Day sale page’ that has better specs than those you showed and it is $449.99. It has WIN 10 Home Ed. vs S - S seems to be a somewhat lighter and “safer” version that forces the use of certain Microsoft products (e.g… Edge browser) to limit external threats. I would try to get at least 8 G of RAM in what ever machine you decide on. You may also be able to get a lower priced desktop, then find an inexpensive monitor, although you will lose out in footprint required and portability.

1 Like

T,
I have looked at the add you suggested. I cannot believe all of the choices there are. I wish I knew what to buy during this sale. You rock thank you

Dave, I’m very new to CNC. I just ordered my machine yesterday. I have been playing with software for a few months and I too am a Mac guy for life! Lol. Anyway, I have a 2017 MacBook. I installed windows via boot camp to run vcarve pro demo and so far it’s allowed me to design and save a lot of files with no performance issues. I ordered the software with my machine. I’m thinking about running it via parallels and getting rid of boot camp. The rebooting to switch is quickly becoming a pain.
Hope this helps.

Hi David
I bought the Dell Inspiron 5770 three years ago
It has never once failed me
I would highly recommend buying one for CNC work
I used it for over two years with my work bee and now it is doing a grand job with my 1F
I think I paid around £650.00 for it
Hope this helps

1 Like

Jack
My apple equipment is limited to a 2008 Mac and a 2018 iPad Pro.
I am thinking I want to have a dedicated windows unit.
Thank you so much for your comment

1 Like

Most desktops and laptops will work for you. I like to focus on screen screen and resolution. My preference in 1920 x 1080 or better screen resolution. A 15” inch screen or bigger for design. I make sure the laptop has a video connector. I have a laptop because we move south in the winter. Everything comes with me. At each location, I have a large screen, keyboard and mouse. So I get best of both worlds. A portable laptop and “normal” screen keyboard and mouse.

Thank you Paul,I am looking at your recommendation now.

1 Like

Daryl,
That helps a lot, I am getting close to making a purchase
Thank you

1 Like

To bad you missed the sale on black Friday. Now i NOT a big fan of dell. I am however a BIG fan of ASUS. now keep in mind this was the first asus laptop on sale at the price point i think you want to be at? but look at it before you snag a dell.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-VivoBook-14-M413-Thin-Light-Laptop-14-FHD-AMD-Ryzen-5-3500U-CPU-8GB-DDR4-RAM-256GB-PCIe-SSD-Windows-10-Home-M413DA-WS51-Bespoke-Black/223381882?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_V5a1E61NmxyOWFpwUx0Mo3cmUkEWaeVFQTZ4zM0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_10531&clickid=V5a1E61NmxyOWFpwUx0Mo3cmUkEWaeVFQTZ4zM0&sharedid=&affiliates_ad_id=566719&campaign_id=9383

1 Like

Thank you so much for the link I am looking.

I have settled on a few factors

15” screen
Windows home. Not”S”
8 GB of ram min.
1920 x 1080
dedicated GPU (graphics processor unit) with its own dedicated RAM.

I think as I am able to identify more features that I want that will help narrow down the purchase
I am not married to Dell so I am flexible there. I have not looked at ASUS I just have not heard of them so I will definitely look at them

I’d spend as much as I could afford with this because while the above might run Vcarve you want it to run quickly and not drive you crazy. Also, you may well want to experiment with Fusion 360 at some point.

So, I’d recommend getting something with a dedicated GPU (graphics processor unit) with its own dedicated RAM. This will make as much difference as a faster CPU.

Definitely don’t get anything running window S as I made that mistake and I have what is basically a doorstop. I’ll convert it to Linux at some point and get some good out of it.

1 Like

Ok Mark I will add that to my list of requirements. I am not sure what you are talking about so I taking a leap of faith. I have been checking on the separate memory for graphics. Are these considered gaming laptops.
?
Thank you so much
Dave

1 of Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop, 10th Gen Intel Core i5-10300H,NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, 15.6" Full HD IPS 144Hz Display, 8GB DDR4,256GB NVMe SSD,WiFi 6, DTS X Ultra,Backlit Keyboard,AN515-55-59KS

(1,169)

• 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10300H Processor (Up to 4.5GHz)
  • 15" Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 144Hz Refresh Display | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Graphics with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
  • 8GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory | 256GB NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots - 1 Slot Open for Easy Upgrades) & 1 - Available Hard Drive Bay
  • LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | Wireless: Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax
  • Backlit Keyboard | Acer CoolBoost Technology with Twin Fans and Quad Exhaust Ports Design

This is the unit I am now getting ready to pull the trigger on. Any comments. Do not hold back…

Not bad for under $1000 but spend the extra few $100’s and get 16 gigs of ram and the i7 with the rtx 2060.
If you do any taxing simulations (as in 3D) the stronger your computer the faster it will process. Look at this one:

Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, Intel i7-10750H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB, 15.6" Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display, 16GB Dual-Channel DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Wi-Fi 6, RGB Keyboard, PH315-53-72XD

I have a desktop that I built with an i9 9900k, RTX2060 card, 16 gigs of ram, and a 1TB SSD. I am so glad I have this power but hope to increase to 32 gigs of ram. Some 3D files take a while to load and simulate even with my machine.

2 Likes

Alden,
Thank you for pointing this unit out I see why you like it, time is not much of an issue for me. My main concern is will it handle the program v- carve pro and will I be able to do 3D carving? My budget was $500 for a computer I pushed it up to 900 and this unit is 1200. If you believe I need this unit then I will go back to the wishing well and see what I can find.