2inch spacer for dust boot

Hi folks ,ive got the 80mm spindle but just orderd and received the dust boot but it wont fit unless i get the 2inch spacers. Ican not find these anywhere on onefinity site has anyone had this problem and had to order them ,thanks everyone and have a great Christmas

Hey Martyn,

which dust boot do you mean?

Further reading

Onefinity Suckit Dust Boot Pro ,it wont fit on mine because ive got the 80mm spindle and i watched on you tube and they say i need a 2inch spacer plate

Hey Martyn,

then I suggest that you consult your source to find out what spacer they mean.

I haven’t heard about such spacers. I just know that when mounting a 80 mm spindle, some users opened the rails of the dust boot arms on the back so they can slide the dust boot in other positions, as reported here.

Further reading

https://youtu.be/jFQhFQb-i34?si=4zi17ifVkMH1E3-9 this is were it tells you about half way through

Hey Martyn,

the spacers seem to be part of the new Z-20 Heavy Duty Z assembly, where it says:

“Built in Suckit Dust Boot Mounts”

Remember, the video you linked to is about installing the Z-20 “Heavy Duty” Z assembly.

Maybe it was planned to offer the dust boot arms with spacers for Z-20 alone, but they “forgot” to offer it on the Dust Collection page, I suggest you ask @OnefinityCNC directly.

Yeah I was thinking kind of the same thing,I’ll get in touch with onefinity after the Christmas period. I’m in no rush still getting other things ready just want to make sure I’ve got everything before I start running everything for end of January, listen mate you been a amazing for answering me it’s so appreciated pal .Well it’s 1.30 in morning so goin to bed now and you have a good Christmas and no doubt we’ll be talking again soon thanks again martyn

1 Like

Hey Martyn,

Here it’s 2:30 so you’re in UTC time zone, me in CET. Good night and Happy Christmas!

I printed the following, longer, magnet wings to allow my stock dust boot to sit further out (forward) and allow the 80mm spindle to clear:

https://www.printables.com/model/360963-magnetic-bracket-for-onefinity-suck-it-longer-vers

You can see photos of them operationalized in another of my posts

1 Like

Hi surfinGump
That’s exactly what I need ,and also if I may ask the dewalt vacuum you using how long can you run that a day because ive also got to look for set up I’m goin to be running most of the day when I start running my business from home so need to look to see what will be best to get ,thanks for reply aswell that’s massively helpful thanks martyn

You bring up an important point regarding the duty cycle of a shop vac-style motor compared to a brushless inductive motor. This is something I consider every time I turn it on. Recently, I’ve been doing several lengthy carving sessions, lasting 3-5 hours each, over the past couple of weeks due to the Christmas gift rush. During these sessions, I’ve noticed that the exhaust from the vacuum feels slightly warm, but I haven’t observed any decline in performance or (to personify the thing) what would be considered any complaints from the vacuum. If I can get at least a year of use out of it, considering it cost $150, I’m almost willing to accept the replacement cost.

The only issue I’ve encountered with my entire setup is that the circular dust cartridge gets clogged after about 5-10 carvings, depending on the amount of chips I’m generating. In contrast, my previous setup involved a Harbor Freight 1HP dust collector and a “Super Dust Deputy,” which I abandoned in favor of the Dewalt vacuum and a regular-sized Dust Deputy v2. With the HF and SDD combination, almost all of the fine dust particles were collected through the Super Dust Deputy, and what made it through to the dust bag attached to the vacuum motor was so minimal that I only had to empty the dust bag once or twice a year!

To address this issue, I decided to install the dry dust “bag” that came with the Dewalt and completely removed the round filter cartridge. I’ve been using this configuration for the past week or so, and I haven’t noticed any spewing of fine dust from the vacuum or any decrease in performance. I haven’t checked how much material has collected in the bag yet, but even when I used to clean the filter cartridge every 2-3 days, I didn’t find much at the bottom of the vacuum tub, so I should still be in good shape in that regard.

P.S. Regarding my decision to replace the Harbor Freight dust collector with the Dewalt, it’s a topic worth discussing on its own. The main issues were my inability to find a functional 4" dust boot solution that worked for me and the extremely poor performance I experienced when reducing the 4" dust collector hose to a 2.5" size at the machine.

1 Like

Hey Forrest,

did you see the Nighthawk 4" dust boot for 80 mm spindle? I believe it would be effective as its opening is not on the entire foot like on the PwnCNC v7, but much smaller so should be much more effective.

If you use a 100 mm / 4" hose, what is the diameter of your Dust Deputy inlets and outlets, and of the inlet of your Dewalt shop vac?

I have already seen here that attaching a 70 mm / 2.5" hose to a shop vac with smaller inlet diameter works good. It shows a setup with Nighthawk 2.5" dust boot for 80 mm spindle.

1 Like

“…did you see the Nighthawk 4” dust boot for 80 mm spindle…"

Yeah, the only thing is that I really need a Z-axis-independent dust boot, and as silly as it sounds, the Suckit boot is one of the many (much lower down the list) reasons I went with a Onefinity. I am constantly doing a lot of deep 3D and 2D carvings; I even have a pretty good stock of long reach bits now.

And with my experiences from my first 3020 CNC machine, I was constantly feeding brush strips into my bits. And at the 1F scale of things, it would be a constant battle of the bristles.

Below is a photo of all of the boots I’ve tried so far, and a couple examples of deep carvings I just completed and still working on.

From left to right

1. A 4-inch boot that mimics the Suckit pretty closely but doesn’t have a large enough opening for my 80mm spindle (4" Inlet Suckit Compatible Dust Shoe by SkippyMcSlappyPants - Thingiverse)

2. PwnCNC v7: It actually works but because of the small X/Y size stock for the jewelry box seen in the photo, the backend was sticking out over the workpiece too much, so I switched back to the stock boot. But, I will be swapping this in and out for the stock boot often.

3. PwnCNC v9: This not only robs me of what I consider precious/valuable Z-height, but the 4" hose was causing the rear of the boot to sag quite significantly. I could probably reduce this sagging by switching to the PwnCNC boot arms, but it would still be a pain to manage.

And as you can see, the jewelry box is made from 8/4 mahogany with a 35mm deep pocket for the base. And the desktop nameplate in the foreground is cut from over 3-inch tall stock behind it. So, a spindle-mounted boot would just be sitting unused most of the time anyway.

1 Like

Hey Forrest,

Adam 3D printed this to accomodate the v9 dust outlet with their 110 mm drag chain:

You could use the Ultimate Hose Clamp to attach it.

Why do you think the PwnCNC proprietary dust boot arms would make such a difference? Because they hold the dust boot much more towards rear?

Further reading

1 Like

You pretty much need the ultimate hose clamp with a v9. It solves the sagging problem 100% for me.

Well, in my opinion, the stock arms simply aren’t robust enough. I believe that part of the issue with the rear end sag may be related to having more sturdy arms, like the ones designed by PwnCNC.

I did purchase the files for and used the Ultimate Hose Clamp with my v9 boot. However, by the time I adjusted the spacing between the boot and the UHC just right, ensuring it supported the rear end without applying excessive downward pressure due to the spring-like force in a compressed hose, the carving was either completed, or I needed to manually clean up any chips and dust that escaped.

Since no dust boot is 100% perfect, especially for deep carvings, I find it necessary to perform manual cleanup using the dust collection hose. As I mentioned in my previous post about the Dewalt 2.5" setup I switched to, I can disconnect and reconnect the hose for manual cleanup in just 1-3 seconds. I’ve even done so while a carving was in progress. Disconnecting the 4" hose going to the v9 boot, while possible with the magnetic twist lock, was still somewhat inconvenient and occasionally painful when trying to reposition the hose between the UHC and boot correctly.

This design looks really impressive and well-executed! I recall this thread circulating, but I didn’t pay it much attention at the time. Besides, the Ultimate Hose Clamp solution works perfectly fine for my narrower drag chain, so I don’t think I need such an extensive offset.

HOWEVER, while composing this reply, and after a few holiday spirits, I think y’all have convinced me to give the v9 boot a second chance. This time, since I now have the Dewalt (which I didn’t have during my initial use of the v9 boot), I plan to use it for my manual cleanup process. It may be a bit cumbersome to reposition the Harbor Freight and Super Dust Deputy rig around my machine, but this dual-vacuum setup might allow me to rarely, if ever, have to disconnect the v9 hose, except under specific circumstances.

Another option…

1 Like

Email support@onefinitycnc.com and they’ll get you a set.

Link this thread.

Hey Forrest,

John (Huntington Builds) @TheyCallMeJohn may have the solution for this:

As Adam @adamfenn28 confirmed, you need to support the hose with the Ultimate Hose Clamp or something similar if you use the PwnCNC dust boot v9.

That would not be necessary if you solved the problems you had when using the PwnCNC v9. The hose simply isn’t there. And with the two “roofs” that you get together with the v9, you can travel the spindle very low, so you dont loose much Z travel.

I would not use a dust collection system that does not catch all the dust. wood dust is cancerogenic.

I would try out all possible dust boot solutions and improvements, since I think that it’s really not one dust boot that is good for all situations. But if you can’t solve your problem, I think you solution would be to use a stronger dust collection system like the Harbour freight 2 hp or the Felder AF 22.

Holiday spirits, lol :slight_smile:

I would be happy to have contributed to this decision.

Anyway good luck!

Another thing you can do for manual cleanup with the v9 is to disconnect the magnetic connector from the v9 and use it directly, or use it with a brush on a mating magnetic connector. I forget who I saw had this setup, but it looked nice to me. I think this the product: MagLock Brush – PwnCNC

1 Like