80mm spindle and VFD choices

For what it’s worth (I don’t have a 2.2kw spindle yet)… I put an amp clamp on the line side of the VFD for my 1.5kw spindle and over 15 mins of operation the max amperage was 6.3A - which occurred during the spin up of the spindle at the start of the cycle (I have the spin up ramp time set to 3 seconds). The cut operation with a 1/4" endmill was below 3 amps with the majority of the operation below 2 amps. This would suggest you can run a 2.2kw spindle on 120v line input as it’s not going to draw full current at all times.

That being said - if you start running larger bits with the 2.2kw spindle I’m sure the load would increase during operation but I am not sure if it would exceed the initial spin up current of the spindle.

Well, the math says that 110v x 20 amps == 2.2kw. But, you’re not supposed to draw more than 80% of max on a circuit. Like you said, typical usage is less than the max - but you could get close to the limits and trip a breaker - which would likely mean a snapped bit. Also, the VFD is not perfect - it draws more amps than are delivered to the spindle.

You can set a max current within the VFD - but you’re limiting the spindle to something less than it’s full capacity.

I’d recommend that 220V input be used for a 2.2kw spindle.

1 Like

220v is going to be the recommended way to power a 2.2kw motor load of any type, not only does it reduce the current draw it balances the load on residential electrical systems, not so much in a shop with 3 phase power but out of scope. The testing I did above was on the line side of the VFD so it accounts for the inefficiency of the VFD and power the VFD uses to operate - I don’t have the ability to measure the inrush current when it is powered on but is very brief and when you consider the initial stall inrush current on an air conditioning condenser is 100 amps with a normal running load of 10 amps, circuit breakers which are time delayed will not trip instantly due to short lived spikes in current draw - 30A of current for a few seconds will not trip a 20A circuit breaker.

A few other thoughts - I have 3.25 HP routers in my router tables that run on 120v, never tripped a circuit breaker running 4" diameter raised panel bits. I have a 15" planer at 120v with a 3HP induction motor that has never tripped a 20A breaker, and my dust collector is also 3HP induction motor running on a 20A 120v circuit 8 hours a day an never tripped a circuit breaker.

It may not be recommended, but me thinks it will work. If you have the ability to install 240v power to your spindle do it. If not, you can likely run on 120v power with no issues for years.

1 Like

I have a panel installed in my garage and plant to run a dedicated 220V circuit to the VFD. I’m curious if there are any issues with the weight of the 2.2kw spindle on the Z-lift, I know with Shapeoko they use the belt system on their Z axis and a 2.2kw spindle will drop down just from the weight, though I’ve heard its not an issue with the ball screw system Onefinity uses. Also I would think feeds and speeds could be increased with a 2.2kw spindle so I’m wondering if the X-35 with stiffy bar is rigid enough to handle the extra forces it might be subjected to.

Has anyone here already installed a 2.2kw on the X-35+stiffy? Any issues to note?

I am also interested in the ability of the 1F to handle a 2.2ke spindle.

In one forum thread, a member asks the question of an 18 lb spindle and gets a 1F support response is that it will be fine. I’m looking at a 7kg spindle (essentially the same weight-wise). The chap I’m thinking of buying it from, whilst doesn’t know the 1F directly, says it will be too heavy. I’m now in a quandary; do I buy the beast or go for a 1.5 kW? Like some members, I want to use 1/2 in cutters.

Does anyone have experience working with a 2.2 kW spindle?

You mean this thread: Spindle weight too much?

What means “chap”?

I got my 1F today and will be setting it up with the 2.2kW HY spindle. I’ve already wired and plumbed the cooling lines to the table so it’s just a matter of switching the mounts. I haven’t decided how to run the cooling lines and cable to the spindle as I have the Journeyman x rail on order so in a couple months I’ll be redoing it. Hopefully by this weekend I’ll have it ready to do (can you believe they actually expect me to go into work to earn a paycheck?).

Sorry, my sloppy English: “Chap” == Person. Chap definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary.

What I meant is that there is a small company (I was going to say “outfit”) in the UK selling spindle/VFD combo (ready to plug in). They are also selling their own CNCs.

Hey Alex have you seen my Hose boom it now supports all Onefinity models and has new z axis water lines, and spindle cable management. If you already have a hose boom I have an upgrade kit available as well.

Also the Digital files are available in my digital file section of my etsy shop

1 Like

Many are asking about stepper motor capabilities in relation to the added mass of a 80mm spindle. I am using a different controller, steppers, etc., but am curious if anyone knows the power supply specs -volts, amps, watts - of the 1F controller.

Ah, I think we have such an “outfit” here too. Bought my VFD there but not a CNC machine. The Onefinity is more convincing because of its thick tubular rails.

Hey Alex,

envying you.

I am glad that my 32″×32″ Woodworker wasn’t shipped when 48″×32″ Journeyman came out (I was among those looking forward to that size)…

Of course I’d like to ask you how the Z Axis mechanism, i.e. linear bearings, the ball screws and the stepper motor will deal with the HY 2.2 kW 80 mm spindle now that you got the machine. Is the spindle really that heavy? The user above said something about 18 lbs, but I’ve found 5,51 kg (12.51 lbs) for it.

You surely will get it all to work quickly

Hey Kelly,

regarding power, more of it means higher speed to achieve the work. Once you will cease to work and instead watch your “robot” doing the work for you, the more you may want it to become faster. More power also means more torque at low speed.

Once the 80 mm spindle holder was out I ordered it and I came accross the question
whether to buy a 2.2 kW spindle with ER16 or with ER20 collet. The first takes tool shanks from 1-10 mm and the latter from 1-13 mm, which would mean half-inch tools. But since at first I did not expect to use tools larger than 8 mm, I was unsure. I asked the manufacturer and he answered, the spindle with ER20 collet has larger bearings and a stiffier shaft. Larger bearings means longer life. Stiffier shaft means more precision. Also one should take into consideration that when using tools with a larger shank, the thicker the shank the stiffier the tool and so the longer the tools you can use – and thus the deeper the pockets you can mill into your workpiece. So I went for the ER20 spindle.

I agree.

3 Likes

Could the 5.5 lbs difference be because one spindle has an ATC, and the other doesn’t?

Hey Steve,

haven’t seen Huanyang spindles with Automatic Tool Changer system yet. But Some of theses Spindle Packages that include a spindle, a VFD, a Spindle Mount and a Water Pump have a weight of 18.86 lbs, so maybe it’s a mistake? We should ask the creator of Spindle weight too much topic. My spindle has no ATC and weighs 4,8 kg (10.58 lbs).

Anyway a spindle with Automatic Tool Changing system may well be weighing 9 kg (19.84 lbs).

Would be interested in knowing how the Onefinity’s Z Axis mount deals with this

I swapped over the spindle mount and installed my 2.2kW spindle. I still have some work to do setting up the case the VFD and other stuff is mounted in but I did move the Z axis manually and it moves with almost no force what so ever. I know some people are talking about replacing the Z stepper with a more powerful one but I can’t see it being worthwhile. After all if the current motor was struggling it would draw too much current. If I’m not mistaken that would trip the controller (just like homing) long before the motor would be damaged.

Hopefully tomorrow night I’ll get time to connect the water lines to the spindle and rout the wires. Peter, I have a manifold for the water at the left rear of the table and dust collection on the right side. I’m not sure if your boom would work as I have a 1hp dust collector mounted to the ceiling. I also need to get a new spoilboard at some point as the piece I have is wide enough for the 48" journeyman but not long enough. I’ll use it for now though.

1 Like

Alex, I am excited for your setup and to see what items you make!! You are correct that my hose boom does need to have the water lines, electrical cord and vacuum hose going to the same corner. Let us know the direction you end up going!

Funny thing is that I started this thread because I initially thought you needed at least an 80mm mount to get a 1.5kw spindle. However, I see that 65mm, 110v, air-cooled spindles with VFD’s are available. My biggest reason for wanting a spindle over the router is purely for noise. I simply cannot stand the high-pitched whine of the router. Is there any significant reason I should go with an 80mm diameter version? I am just a hobby woodworker, not making money, it’ll see 40-50 hours per month tops, and just in wood.

1 Like

Hey Timothy,

As far as I know with 65 mm you are limited to ER11 collet then, which would mean 7 or 8 mm tool shank maximum. But it should be okay for many work.

My other thoughts you probably read above.

The reason why I went for a larger spindle is intended professional use

I know that the 80mm 1.5kw are either ER11 or ER16 but both max out at 1/4" for us in terms of the CNC we buy. It’s only the bigger 2.2kw models that I’ve seen go up to ER20, allowing for 1/2" bits. However I have no established collection of bits and again, as a hobby woodworker, non-professional I think that I’ll be fine maxing out at 1/4" bits.

1 Like