Onefinity CNC Firmware 1.2.1 (2/8/23) (X-35/X-50 machines w/ Buildbotics Controller) (Outdated)

Last night, I updated from 1.0.9 to the current version, then things started getting weird. I’m using an ethernet connection and laptop to run the controller.

1. Machine seems to keep loosing track of home position and therefore starts making cuts in places it shouldn’t.
  2. This typically happens when it’s either moving from home position to a specified starting point on my boards or at the end of a cut (when it should be moving back to the home position). The Z-axis raises like it’s about to go back to home, then randomly just drops into another place.
  3. In both of these situations, there is a weird, almost grinding noise, and that’s when the doo-doo hits the fan.

Any ideas of how to resolve this?

This is most likely coincidence, have you done any maintenance lately?

1 Like

Thanks for the details. So I don’t need to flash it going from 1.1.1 to 1.2.1 - correct?

1 Like
3 Likes

No, I have less than 10 hours on this machine so far. But I will try the maintenance.

Since I upgraded it from 1.1.1 to 1.2.1 without prior knowledge of this requirement, and the machine still works, I still should do the reflashing process?

Tom

Yes:
This was stated in the release post at the very top:

2 Likes

i would go back to 1.09… company has repeatedly stated it’s their longest lasting, most stable firmware to date. I’m not going near 1.2.x for several months and or hotfixes/version updates.

1 Like

The machine itself generates emi from the both the vacuum hose and the router. This is a known issue that can cause random missed steps and will likely surface again if not addressed. I would recommend grounding the machine and adding ferrite ring cores to all the wires. Having owned my machine for over 2 years this was one of the things that I fought for a while before finding the solution that ended these problems. The fix is pretty cheap too. https://amzn.to/3KuY7th

5 Likes

I wonder, since the web UI flashing yellow status seems aware that the buffer is still processing, shouldn’t it be possible to also pause new input from the web UI and joypad to avoid the unresponsive state?

2 Likes

Phil - I’m with you. I was on 1.1.1 since I purchased the machine back in September 2022, and had no real issues. I downloaded 1.09, 1.1.1 and 1.2.1 to have in my firmware folder. I’m headed for 1.09 for now and won’t get too excited about changes for a few months until I see solid feedback.

Tom

Anyone who has spent any time PC gaming (as I suspect many in this forum have) should know to avoid new software/firmware for as long as possible if your equipment is already performing well.

3 Likes

Exactly. I’m still using Photoshop CS5 (2010) and Lightroom 6 (2015) because they still do exactly what I need them to do. And Firmware 1.0.9 still does as well.

1 Like

If it’s coincidence, what an opportune time to happen, but none the less you may have the issues noted in this post.

Rhetorical question, if this is such an issue with these machines, why are ferrite cores not included or recommended in the setup guide?

3 Likes

I often wonder this point myself. I also wonder for the 9.00 it costs to buy these things why they just dont start adding them to the wires in the first place. Never the less they are needed.

1 Like

I am on 1.1.1 so I need to reflash the PI. I have a 128gb flash card that I could use, am I correct in the assumption that there is no up side to bigger on this?

I had upgraded to 1.2.1 from 1.1.x via the web. After upgrading I noticed the Z-axis was no longer able to be controlled by the joy pad (official Onefinity provided). I read on here where it was recommended to flash the SD card with a fresh image, which I did this last weekend. Finally had some time to work with it today and installed the fresh SD card in the controller. After booting, resetting the configuration and rebooting again, I tested the ability to move the z-axis with no success.

On an earlier post it was noted a video and pictures would be helpful. So here’s a video of it not working, I know I stated at the end I would try a wired controller, but was unable to get it to work at all.

I’m open for suggestions and ideas. I’ve downloaded and flashed 1.0.9 to a new SD card and will trying it tomorrow if I have a chance.

If you need specifics captured, please let me know.
I can’t upload the video, so here’s a link https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sf2VDHKfQtcmedb8A

Many people have stayed during the beta that they needed to put the controller back into the correct mode. Follow the steps here

1 Like

Ah, didn’t know there were modes for the joystick. I’ll check that out and report back! Thank you so much!

Another one of those, if he would only read the manual issues!

–mark

2 Likes