Upgraded to 1.2.1 - Messed up controller and probing

I was running fine on a prior version, I think it was 1.1.1
On that version I have run through about 6 projects with minimal issues.

Just got back to my Journeyman x50 this week to try out some newly created models and decided to grab the upgrade to 1.2.1

Now the z axis does not respond to the controller, and probing returns 3 big ugly errors (x axis is less than min soft limit, cannot enter jogging cycle while in mdi cycle, and another x axis soft limit with a different negative value for X position).

I have been reading various posts on this forum for about an hour and my brain is starting to fizzle out. There are problems with 1.2.1? There aren’t problems with 1.2.1? Some users have to flash their SD? But it seems you have to know what versions you have ever had (which I do not)? But only advanced users should do that? Some users can “return” to a prior version, but I have no apparent option to do so?

Where do I start?

Thanks in advance.

Hey FeasterFamine,

this is a frequently asked question, please see here.

This is normal. Wait for your MDI commands to complete to be able to enter jogging mode again. Jogging is not available in MDI or program mode.

By the way, this forum has a search function:

There you also find the solution to this:

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I am not a novice on forums (or computers for that matter) but yes I used the search previously and my brain got overloaded with everyone else’s problems.

Yes that solves the probing errors, user error with the size of my piece and trying to anticipate carve-able areas bit me.

How about the controller problem? That post has nothing to do with my issue.
This one does appear to be the same issue, but the solve appears to be to take my controller apart and flash the SD, which the instructions say is for advanced users only.

It is difficult to understand this post in lieu of a response.

Am I meant to glean that the Playstation controller that used to work is not supported, and a change made in the update to 1.2.1 is the cause?

Hey FeasterFamine,

I assumed you mean the controller

2 Likes

Thank you for clearing up the terminology.

Are any Playstation joypads supported? I think the official response was meant to imply that only one precise Xbox joypad is supported, but it would be nice to have that confirmed with a simple yes or no. This experience has been overwhelming and frankly unwelcoming.

Hey FeasterFamine,

Your buildbotics-derived Onefinity CNC controller comes with firmware that you can use. If you connect it to a network that has access to the www or if you connect via a remote web browser, you will also have an automatic online version check that will result in a recommended firmware version shown on top of the CONTROL page which suggests to update firmware if necessary (you can disable it this way if you want to keep your installed firmware and don’t want to be annoyed by that).

You simply use the firmware that is installed until you have an issue, then you report this issue under Firmware (Buildbotics) > $VERSION or under Firmware (Buildbotics) > Latest Firmware respectively and then you follow the instructions that the developers or support tell you.

1 Like

We only officially support the joypad we sell.

Playstation controllers are a different mode and the Z will not work.

The Playstation joypad did work on every prior controller version I have used, and now on 1.2.1 it does not.

Thank you for answering, I understand that you can’t support every joypad on the market but the last thing I expected was to lose joypad functionality.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can count on that for any electronic add-on that’s not officially supported. It’s likely they use 3rd party controls and libraries in their code. One of those may have been updated and caused the Playstation incompatibility. When they’re testing to see if they’ve broken something with a new build, they’re only going to test the supported stuff. They won’t catch unsupported add-ons that break even though they once worked because the software library(ies) they’re using allowed it in the past but made a breaking change.

I am still on 1.09 and seems like the best thing to do is stay right there till they come up with a stable update of that ever happens. Maybe forgot about us guys that don’t have the new elite machines?

2 Likes

@Millerlgt2 I think you are onto something there :slight_smile:

These updates are just super-risky for anyone that values their time. When I went to 1.1.1 I could no longer browse to the controller through other devices on the network. This points to QA problems with patch testing.

I will likely be investigating and then flashing back to 1.0.9 and never going back until there is a significant improvement on that functionality. The improvements made in 2.x are not compelling enough to sacrifice existing functionality.

Totally agree! I have only had a few minor issues on Ver. 1.09.

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not…
I’m looking to download version 1.0.9 on a fresh SCD card that has nothing on it. I’m wanting to have a backup in case I need it for the future. Does anyone have the steps for this?

1 Like

Follow the steps for flashing the sd card thats some where here in the forum. I done it but its been too long to even try to explain but yes it can be done

If anyone here is having issues with PS3 controllers on v1.0.9, I recently got mine working and have detailed the process here: PS3 Controller/Joypad Guide

1 Like