Elite Table Builds

Hey Poppa,

the QCW Frame, when it came out, provided what the Onefinity machine was lacking to be a complete machine: A machine base. But

• it is rather expensive
  • It is by far not as stiff as a welded steel base (okay, no one would expect that). It was even reported that it bent when drilling/sinking on a workpiece
  • There is a rather large wasteboard area that you can’t use at the rear (you could even leave that area out when putting MDF slats on it), and a wasteboard room at the front that is clearly missing, as the milling motor is not located over the area with the T-tracks.

The advantage is that the Any Surface Leveling Feet are now included (before, you had to order them separately here) so you can put the machine somewhere and make it coplanar immediately (use fishing line method) and start to mill something.

As for rectangularity (“squareness”) of QCW Frame, I haven’t checked yet. Will report as soon as possible.

On the other hand, I think if you make a 2-3" thick (anti-)torsion box out of 12 mm birch plywood, as many did here, as a machine base / table top, it would not make much sense to use the QCW frame, and such an (anti-)torsion box can be very, very stiff. However adjusting coplanarity would have to be done with shims under the feet then.

I bought a QCW frame to analyze it (ouch to my wallet), and will use it for testing purposes and will report then. But I will not use QCW frame in my final assembly. However many people are very satisfied with it.

1 Like

@Bboozier - Nice job. Would you mind sharing the dimensions/placement for the interior braces and plywood cuts? This is a fabulous idea to not waste material and save money. Great work.

@Keith_PDX - Sure thing Keith. Here’s the cut layout for a 4x8 sheet and the drawing for the steel table.

CNC_Table_Drawing.pdf (604.5 KB)

2 Likes

Thinking of doing a flip top. Does it have enough rigidity? Assume you have legs at 4 corners? Does it shake/wobble when in use? Thanks

Received my tracking number a couple days ago. Took the opportunity to clean out some stock i have had laying around (note: I know its pressure treated on some, it was cheaper than buying more)

Making half laps on all the cross pieces. I will be adding lower drawers in due time. For now it will stay a basic torsion table until the Elite Foreman is up and running.

The plan is to add another torsion box on the bottom. I posted the full design earlier. Should stablize the legs.

2 Likes

It should be fine. I recall from my previous experiences that FLIR had difficulties penetrating dusted caked, but it could easily see through clouds. I don’t anticipate our system getting clogged with too much dust, so that shouldn’t be an issue. However, it makes me wonder why they didn’t opt for an inductive (magnetic) approach, which seems like a better choice.

1 Like

I had to put stabilzers in the corners of my table - the foreman rocks a lot when it is running. You can see in this video what I did for the base. https://youtu.be/dVzc52_yB5c

1 Like

Good idea. Mine was not needed as the OSB side paneling locks it to the lower torsion box.

Itd be who’ve you to add locking casters, if you didn’t plan on it

For those who may be building a table using 2x2 steel (11ga)…I have designed a 3d printable adapter for Nefish adjustable casters from Amazon. https://a.co/d/0Yjtubn

Here’s the stl file if your interested:
CasterAdapter.stl (327.8 KB)
Use 100% infill.

2 Likes

For what its worth, I got these and I’m underwhelmed with them. My table is about 200-300lb. They are supposed to be rated for 2200 lbs. The rubber feet have become separated and I have to fight them to get the feet to raise back up. And the level of height adjustment is lower than anticipated. My garage has a very slight slope but that slope is just enough to where at 64" between feet their isn’t enough to get both sides of casters off the ground. I have tried spacers but even with one side on its wheels and the other fully extended there isn’t enough adjustment vertically. These are great if your shop is perfectly level but if you have any kind of slope it may not be enough. I’m going to have to build some spacers with ramps to get the elevation even higher.

I got my table built. Its based on the Open Builds V-Slot table (66x66) but I added additional bracing to the center and added 90 degree brackets on all the vertical corners to stiffen it up. Its super strong now.

Patiently waiting for an Elite Foreman… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is it easy to get that all squared up? I’ve never built with that stuff before.

Ken

Yes, the 90 degree corner brackets in addition to their corner brackets basically make it impossible to not get it square. I double checked everything with a square and tape measure and it was perfect.

There is a cross brace going both directions (like a cross) under each layer of melamine. Clearly the waste board is not there yet…

Its also on leveling machine casters.

1 Like

It’s likely overkill, but I decided to add an adjustable center leg to my table frame.

I was seeing some excessive deflection under certain point load conditions in the simulation.

Adjustable section is 3/4"x10" all-thread for levelling with or without the casters.

2 Likes

Hi Keith,
Nice table. I plan to do a similar aluminum extrusion table. A few questions: What casters are those? What did you use to attach them to the table?

Thanks,
Kenric

https://www.amazon.com/Skelang-Leveling-Retractable-Workbench-Capacity/dp/B07V1NTLDP

The legs on the Open Builds table are threaded for an M8 or M10 on the bottom plate. I machined up a 1/2" UHMW spacer to center bolt to the table and then through bolt the caster with bolts/lock washers. Worked well.

1 Like

I’m not sure if there is anything here that adds to what has already been posted here but I have also been thinking about a table design for my second CNC router. A OneFinity Elite Woodworker will replace a smaller CNC.

I do bespoke designs for tooling/equipment etc. in Fusion 360. In addition to accommodating end joinery, pin-located extension(s) can be retrofitted to accommodate machining of small COTS enclosures and a possible rotary axis. It doesn’t (at least yet) address the tool storage and such requested by the OP but here are a couple of images of
what I have come up with so far FWIW.

5 Likes

UPDATE: Link “Dust boot overhang” is broken, here are working links: