UI freezes frequently

Does anyone else notice the control interface freezing on both local display and web remote?
I could understand maybe the web remote interface being lost due to network strength/ stability, but why would it freeze on local display. The machine keeps running the gcode just fine but it’s pretty annoying to see the screen frozen.
The only way to get it back is to wait for the program to end and then restart, redo homing, etc…
I haven’t used the machine a lot since installation but it worked fine over the first couple projects.

No, never had the display freeze up. I’m running 1.0.9 firmware.

1 Like

Mine isn’t freezing, but since I added a spindle it goes black intermittently.

I have something similar, sort of. everything works ok until actually running the carve. At some point the 10.8" screen freezes (both touch and the image itself). The remote lap top screen etc work perfectly ok so I can still control everything, but not through the 10.8" screen.

1 Like

Hey Brian,

This is a new topic, since it’s not the “User interface freezes” issue, but the “Monitor is intermittent” issue.

If the problem persists, you should be aware that…

And finally to not only prevent EMI but also to comply EN/IEC 60204-1 safety standard, the machine should be electrically bonded and grounded,

1 Like

Good points, Aiph5u!
I was just thinking yesterday about trying to snap some ferrites onto the HDMI cable.
I do have the spindle connected with a good shielded cable and a ferrite core at the VFD output, but I didn’t think to put some on the monitor HDMI at the time. I will follow your advice and add ferrites onto the USB cables as well, as all these cables are long enough to pick up some radiated EMI from the VFD which i don’t have it sealed in a metal enclosure yet, but that should be my next step if my monitor freezing issues aren’t solved by the ferrites.

Hey Leonard,

I made the experience that there are big differences between HDMI cables, and I mean not only whether they have ferrite cores or not. At the office, I have the monitor image of an Eizo going black for a moment when I switch devices nearby off, this happens with some HDMI cables, with others not. Others refuse to work with my KVM switch or with an HDMI audio extractor. And it’s not that you can predict that from the cable specs or so. Trial and error.

1 Like

I agree. There’s so much variance coming by a combination of poor cable quality available in today’s market and sensitive electronics front end which don’t always have the protection margin required to stand up to whatever may come down from their particular installation environment, because it all comes at a cost and companies are either trying to make better profits or just stay competitive.
For the current example, I am sure Buildbotics could have done a better job beefing up the front end on the data communication hardware modules to decouple parasitic signals from inserting and corrupting the system, and they could have done that easily by employing either a discrete circuit design or dedicated integrated protection devices that exist for this exact purpose, but either solution would have added a couple more bucks to the bill. Now, I can’t say i blame them for not doing that, since this issue only happens to a certain percentage of users depending on their particular installation, so it’s probably a decision of cost vs. reputation and it’s theirs to make by right.

Bottom line for us, as data speed on everything nowadays is running at increasingly higher frequencies, signal integrity is vital for stable operation, and it seems that it is up to us, the end user, to figure out and snub the eventual interference in the field.
Oh well, i bet life wouldn’t be this exciting without these problems, but then i wouldn’t know for sure since i always had to deal with stuff… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks A. My ferrite beads arrive today. I’m planning on putting them on each end of every cable. The strange thing is… during the last carve the monitor stayed on.

Hey all,

this german article reports that users had their monitor turn black as soon as they took place on their new IKEA office chair. To resolve the issue, the chair had to be grounded or replaced :frowning: