QCW - Any reason to not have surface under it same dimensions?

Just got my woodworker pro at the house, and have started to try to figure out how to set things up. I bought the QCW just to remove complications during assembly and to open the door to possibly wall mounting the unit in the future.

When I look at the assembled dimensions of the woodworker QCW on the spec sheet, it shows 45" wide x 42.35" deep, and I believe that the monitor mounts to the unit itself so it doesn’t contribute to the footprint. I have a table that isn’t deep enough (50"w x 32"d), and my plan is to go buy a piece of 3/4 plywood and cut it to a dimension that will work, and screw that to the existing surface (which is also 3/4 ply).

I’m seeing numbers like 4ftx6ft for the recommended woodworker table size and I’m trying to figure out why. Maybe those dimensions are if you’re mounting the 1F to the surface itself and doesn’t apply when using QCW?

Basically, I’m wondering what reason I have to go much deeper than the say 43"depth that the QCW is. If my surface is 50"w x 45"d, that seems to give enough buffer around the QCW frame and if I mount the controller under the table, am I missing something important that will make me regret this decision later? I have a VERY small shop, and I’m already going to have to relocate my table saw just to make a 50x45 surface work, so going with a 48x72 is gonna be wildly difficult in my space, plus that would leave a lot of surface hanging off the existing structure, probably would want to rebuild the cabinet if I was forced to go that big.

Hey Gil,

I wonder that you haven’t found the answers with the search function, as this was discussed thourougly and is asked (and answered) frequently.

The QCW frame is not where the workarea of the machine is. While at the front you have the milling motor (router or spindle) and also the dust boot protruding the QCW frame beyond the front edge of the frame, where there is no wasteboard but only air, there is a portion at the rear of the QCW frame that the bit will never be able to access. You can make your wasteboard slats much shorter in the rear for this reason. You will not be able to surface this region when you want to surface the wasteboard.

For the Woodworker (80 x 80 cm workarea, (32" × 32")) dimensions, you can use the Journeyman links below, you only have to subtract 40 cm (16") from the Journeyman (120 × 80 cm workarea (48" × 32")) width. The depth is identical on Woodworker and Journeyman (two Y-35 rails).

The new PRO Series dimensions and footprint are like the Original Series and the (no more available) X-50 Series, but have a slightly longer stepper motors, and they have the 30 mm drag chains on X axis and left Y axis like the Elite Series.

See also here and here.

Note that if you bolt the QCW frame down to the table top, you will loose its biggest advantage, the use of the Any Surface Leveling Feet. For such a gantry-type machine to work accurately, you not only need to ensure rectangularity (“squared”) but also coplanarity (“not twisted”). The Any Surface Leveling Feet (now included with QCW frames, sold separately in the past) are the easiest way to ensure coplanarity.

Have you ensured that your machine is rectangular (“squared”) (bar gauge) and coplanar (“not twisted”) (fishing line method) .

In both cases if it is not accurately adjusted, not only you can get parallelograms instead of rectangles, but also workpieces with a twisted surface. Surfacing the wasteboard will not help against lack of coplanarity (twisted machine base), the machine will only reproduce the twist on the workpiece surface. Also if any of both is not accurately adjusted, the Y movement can block.

I think one way to secure the QCW to a table, besides and anti-slip surface, is something like this:

If it’s answered with this many article references each time it’s asked, I can understand why it gets asked over and over again…that’s a whole lot for what seems like a simple question.

Put directly, will I have problems if I place the woodworker qcw on a surface that is 50x45 or 50x48, or should I be ok? Basically, I need to know this before I cut the plywood that is in the bed of my truck, since you can’t uncut it.

Hey Gil,

this is because there is not one dimensions publication from Onefinity that really contains all necessary dimensions. Many have to be given by forum members, and my post tries to put them together in one place.

On the other hand, there were people that just watched the assembly videos and did not know that there is a support page on the Onefinity web site with PDF manuals that also contain some dimensions diagrams.

1 Like

Yeah, I found the dimensions pages before ordering, it’s what caused me to buy the woodworker instead of the journeyman, as even wall mounted the journeyman was going to be too big. In my case, the whole thing will be on a surface that is basically a cabinet carcass on wheels, and to use it I’ll need to move it into the center of the room. To that end, clearance around the unit when in use won’t be a problem, I just wanted to make sure if I went 50x45 or 50x48 that I wasn’t asking for trouble.

Thanks for the detailed response, I’m taking the response in summary as “no, not in its most basic configuration, but with additional accessories you might have some things hang over the area without a table under them”.